Elderberry syrup ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita36

Reaction score
A friend gave me a pint of elderberry jelly (looks more like syrup). I will not eat it so I was wondering if I could use it in my muscadine wine ? I'm sure they used pectin to make it. So I was wondering if it would be ok.

Yes, add some pectinase. not sure if the pectin has set in that but some people make wine from jelly, you might want to look to see if they do anything special, why wont you eat it, thats good stuff you have in that jar, also great to cook with, if you wouldnt eat it why would you put in it a wine? unless its just to runny? I have not made it before, but having tasted muscadine wine I think that the elders would go very well with it but being such a small jar depending on your batch might not contribute much to be worth the trouble unless you are just making a couple gallons. WVMJ

I don't like the runny part. It tastes real good and don't want to waste it. The color is a very deep purple and it's just a pint and will probably not make much of a difference but it's better than wasting

I don't like the runny part. It tastes real good and don't want to waste it. The color is a very deep purple and it's just a pint and will probably not make much of a difference but it's better than wasting

Since it's runny, use it on pancakes. I used to make a lot of elderberry jelly, and when it didn't set well, I just called it elderberry syrup. Dale.:r

The same guy just gave me a gallon of juice that he steamed from the elderberry. Should I add water to it to make wine ?

What do YOU like? Do you like wine with lots of taste then dont dilute it, if you like wine with less intensity, like a Rose, then dilute it. WVMJ

I blend a lot of my muscadine wine with elderberry wine. I have one batch started where I put both fruits in the primary together. I think they call it a "field blend."

I make elderberry jelly and it often takes a few weeks to get thick. It is great as a syrup on pancakes or over ice cream but it will probably thicken if you just let it sit for a awhile. Putting it in the fridge also helps it thicken.

Latest posts

Back