EFFECTS OF LONG TERM CONTACT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
I am contemplating using an ice chest ( 80qt) to keep all my wine making equipment in. Now comes the question, I am planning on keeping it filled with a sodium metabisulphite solution of sufficient strength that everything will be sanitized when i get readytake it out. Cost of sanitizer is no issue since I buy the soduim metabisulphite through my Company and a 50lb bag cost me $17.50. I am just wondering if the long term contact may be detrimental to some of the equipment. Of course I would not include anything metal, such as myfizz- x

Waldo, over time plastic will become brittle from exposure to just about anything, including reducers (sulfite), oxidyzers (bleach), and UV rays. I suggest that you put glass jars containing the sanitizing solution in the chest, and keep the equipment dry. The SO2 gas will keep the equipment sanitized, and you can just take it out and use it.

I just set up a smaller version of what you propose in an MM All Juice pail.

What PeterZ said. But, I bet that after a while even the fumes will take their toll on plastics.

PeterZ said:
Waldo, over time plastic will become brittle from exposure to just about anything, including reducers (sulfite), oxidyzers (bleach), and UV rays. I suggest that you put glass jars containing the sanitizing solution in the chest, and keep the equipment dry. The SO2 gas will keep the equipment sanitized, and you can just take it out and use it.

I just set up a smaller version of what you propose in an MM All Juice pail.

Thanks peter...I had just read your chardonnay post and thought...Yeah !!! Thats a better idea.

Latest posts

Back