WineXpert Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having the same issues with this same kit. According to kit instructions, mine was to be clear last night. You're a few months ahead of me ... Did you leave it in carboy (no racking) until it cleared? Not sure why I'm so paranoid about leaving it more than 8 days on the fine lees ... But I am.
Don't be <grin> just stir it once a week or so. I did this kit and did Battonage for 2 months and it was great. a little lighter than the Aussie Chard I usually make. One thing i noticed was, the Biscuity flavor was more pronounced in the Dry Creek.

Folks as you probably know, the two critical elements to clearing on schedule are temperature and de-gassing. CO2 in suspension will hold yeast particles in suspension, so it needs to be fully de-gassed. The upside however is that as this kit/brand really needs to age, taking a little longer to clear shouldn't be cause for concern, As someone mentioned, there will be no issue leaving the wine on the fine lees for an extra week or two.

Just started this kit last night. Split it into two 3gal batches. Used the EC1118 that came with the kit on one and D47 on the other. Planning to make the EC1118 batch by the book but with longer aging times as the control for this experiment. Plan to use Sur Lie method and oak on the D47 batch. Then I will compare the two as they age. Looking for ideas from those who have done Sur Lie before. What procedure did you use? When did you start? How long did you do it?

Also curious if anyone has done this kit at a low fermenting temperature? If so what temperature did you keep the wine at in the primary and secondary? I started at 73F to get the yeast going. It's at 68 right now. The room temp in the den where it is fermenting is usually in the mid 60's. My wife who is part polar bear likes it that way :). I've read of people putting their primaries in tub with cold water or adding sealed frozen water bottles to the wine to lower the temp. Anyone had good results with anything like this? What temp did you maintain and how long did fermentation take?

Just started this kit last night. Split it into two 3gal batches. Used the EC1118 that came with the kit on one and D47 on the other. Planning to make the EC1118 batch by the book but with longer aging times as the control for this experiment. Plan to use Sur Lie method and oak on the D47 batch. Then I will compare the two as they age. Looking for ideas from those who have done Sur Lie before. What procedure did you use? When did you start? How long did you do it?

Also curious if anyone has done this kit at a low fermenting temperature? If so what temperature did you keep the wine at in the primary and secondary? I started at 73F to get the yeast going. It's at 68 right now. The room temp in the den where it is fermenting is usually in the mid 60's. My wife who is part polar bear likes it that way :). I've read of people putting their primaries in tub with cold water or adding sealed frozen water bottles to the wine to lower the temp. Anyone had good results with anything like this? What temp did you maintain and how long did fermentation take?
Putting oak in an unoaked wine will overshadow any of the other changes you plan.
Fermenting at a lower temperature is said to improve florals of white wine made from fresh grapes or juice. The problem with kits is that they have all been flash pasteurized to ensure shelf stability. This means that the juice has been warmed to roughly 160F, and as a result, cool fermentation will be moot.

I think it is great that you are trying a split batch to compare. Good on you!

Have you read this thread by Shoobiedoo? http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16088

As you may have seen, I am in the middle of doing a battonage run on a WE Luna Bianca (http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50851). I can claim no expertise, but this is what I am doing. I used D47, and Iomitted the bentonite in primary. I racked out of primary into "secondary," as usual. After a certain length of time in "secondary," I left it in the same carboy and added only k-meta (not the fining agents, and did not degas). From there, I am stirring the lees back into suspension occasionally. I would like to say I am doing this weekly, but I have been erratic, so sometimes weekly, sometimes 3 weeks will go by.

Too early to say much. It tastes pretty good to me, but not terribly biscuity yet.

Merry Christmas all. Quickie update. I normally let my kits age at least 4-6 months before I bottle, but this one I made for my Mom since she loves Sonoma Chards, albiet oaked chards. I bottled 29 1/2 bottles today after degassing for the second time overnight. Think the first time I tried to degass it was on the cool side. It has spent a few weeks in the garage, first at sub freezing temperatures, lately in the 50s and 60s. Wanted to give her a bottle since she migrates South for January through March. I'll hopefully give her a few more bottles for her Birthday at the end of June.

All I can say is that it was a power struggle between my wife and I to claim that leftover 1/2 bottle. I had cooled it down quickly and offered it to her as her first wine of the day, and as quick as I poured it, she drank it. This is the best wine I have made to date at 2 3/4 months. All I can say is WOW! This already has an incredible nose and the flavors remind me of peaches/pears/apricots and cream.

I duct taped two cases and they are now in the wine sanctuary, with a note to leave alone until summer. At that point I will retrieve a bottle every three months or so when my wife and I can destroy it. This is the best surprise Christmas present I've ever recieved.

PS. only did the Sur lie stuff for about four weeks, but this is incredibly smooth for such a young wine and I am figuring that might have had something to do with it. Am excited to think what it will taste like this time next year.

Reminds me that I made that kit over a year ago. Guess I'll go grab one and try it.

Sorry, it's a really good chard but for some reason I'm fonder of the Selections Australian Chard which luckily for me is cheaper.

Maybe you can send me a case of that, and I'll try it one-for-one against my Eclipse version when it gets older. Then I'll get back to you which I like better...

Is that at me, Craig?

You were the only one mentioning cases in the basement... I'd trade you anything for your Australian Chard, it was a very good wine!

It was more a joke that I would take a case off your hands and promise to taste it against my Eclipse Chardonnay, bottle for bottle. I will for sure send you a bottle of the Eclipse Chardonnay once I deem it okay to sample, probably some time this spring. I think when you taste it you will probably order the kit if you haven't by then. Very different from your Australian Chard, no oak in this one and very fruity and pleasant at this point. Everyone at the family Christmas get together enjoyed it, and it was less than three months old.

I think I told you my older brother tried it and just ordered that kit along with another one, so it must have tasted okay.

You were the only one mentioning cases in the basement... I'd trade you anything for your Australian Chard, it was a very good wine!

It was more a joke that I would take a case off your hands and promise to taste it against my Eclipse Chardonnay, bottle for bottle. I will for sure send you a bottle of the Eclipse Chardonnay once I deem it okay to sample, probably some time this spring. I think when you taste it you will probably order the kit if you haven't by then. Very different from your Australian Chard, no oak in this one and very fruity and pleasant at this point. Everyone at the family Christmas get together enjoyed it, and it was less than three months old.

I think I told you my older brother tried it and just ordered that kit along with another one, so it must have tasted okay.

Good. I wouldn't part with a case... I like it too much. I may do another - tastes good, pretty cheap. But, I have a bottle or two down there with your name on it.:h

As I posted earlier, I started this kit a month ago and split it into two 3 gal batches, one with EC1118 & one with D47. Secondary fermentation is done. Both finished quite low at 0.990. Sampled both and was amazed to taste the difference one month after casting the yeast. The EC1118 batch was very harsh and astringent as I would expect at this stage but the D47 batch was much smoother and buttery. It will be interesting to see the differences as the two batches age.

but the D47 batch was much smoother and buttery.

I had started this kit in early October and bottled some so my Mom could take a few bottles when she drove south for the winter. Ultimately it will be either her birthday present in the summer or a Chirstmas present next year. She's in her early 80's so time is of the essence.

I took a bottle to a family Christmas gathering and was amazed how drinkable it was and just thought that it was the quality of the kit (and it has no oak). Looked back at my notes and see I used D47 and I sur lee aged for 6 weeks before clarifying it.

Very interested on how your two batches age and whether the taste profiles ever converge.

I just completed my first 3 month racking last night. Taste and smell pretty harsh. I'm not sure if that's the smell of yeast or what. I've made 1 batch of DB, this Chardonnay kit and 1 merlot kit (all since sept 2015) and they all share this aroma. The started the Chardonnay first and I think the taste and aroma are beginning to fade. I would hardly call it drinkable right now... you can drink it but don't know anyone that would want too. I'm hoping this all improves with time.

I just completed my first 3 month racking last night. Taste and smell pretty harsh. I'm not sure if that's the smell of yeast or what. I've made 1 batch of DB, this Chardonnay kit and 1 merlot kit (all since sept 2015) and they all share this aroma. The started the Chardonnay first and I think the taste and aroma are beginning to fade. I would hardly call it drinkable right now... you can drink it but don't know anyone that would want too. I'm hoping this all improves with time.

Wine + time = :h

Curious, what yeast strain did you use?

Latest posts

Back