WineXpert eclipse Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I think my Eclipse Pinot Noir may have an infection? It is approximaly 4 months old. I have it bulk aging in a glass carboy at a consistat temp. When I sampled the wine, I want to say it tastes either peppery or florial. I really cant put a finger on it. But it doesnt taste like a pinot.

What can I do to correct it?

Thanks!

Its really hard to get an infection in a wine. You would almost have to have stuck an old sock in it. Its even harder to infect a kit wine, they are very forgiving.

Some Pinots are peppery...

You would likely have some sort of visual indication of an infection at this point. It is more difficult to get one as opposed to making beer. Pinot's can vary quite a bit from super fruity to earthy/herbal/spice. At 4 months old, yours is simply not developed enough. Give it more time.

For what it's worth, the description for this kit does mention herbal and black spice characteristics.

Thanks everyone! It has cleared properly and I followed the instructions 100 percent. I was a little alarmed due to it being drinkable at such a young age. I feel that I wouldnt drink this at this time. I googled some signs of an infection and it states the floral geranium taste was a sign.

I have mine aging 3 months already. Haven't tasted it yet but will most likely give it a swirl next week

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I tasted mine somewhere around the 4-6 month mark and hung a tag on the bin "wait at least 12 months"

In a somewhat tangential note the WE Coastal Red I made ~6 months ago (+ Zante currants in the primary and maybe 1/8t tannin riche/3gal) Drinks like a reasonable Pinot Noir. The other 3 gallons got oaked with chips and is a much more substantial wine. Hmmm maybe I should blend the two?

Have you tried this lately? I am curious to see when the profile of the wine changes. Also. What's does the currants add to wine? I see that many are adding these to the Secondary. What will they add to the wine?

I have an Australian petit verdot I would like to try it with.

I just bought this kit last friday.
Was going to wait a few weeks for the heat to die down and get this one a cooking!

I have no idea what flavor to expect but this thread is making me even more curious

It would be in a kit but I don't think that is very likely. You would have to have got the right type of bacteria and a kit with an incorrect acid balance. I am new to this as well but I think that for a high end kit like you have, you need to wait at least 6 month to a year or more before you drink it. If you want something you can drink quicker (while you are waiting for this one to mature) try one of the cheaper 10 liter kits. I have heard they are drinkable much faster. I have a Coastal Red that is still in the clearing stage and it is already almost drinkable. Just a little weak.

Thanks everyone! It has cleared properly and I followed the instructions 100 percent. I was a little alarmed due to it being drinkable at such a young age. I feel that I wouldnt drink this at this time. I googled some signs of an infection and it states the floral geranium taste was a sign.

is that [MLF] a bad thing?

It would be in a kit but I don't think that is very likely. You would have to have got the right type of bacteria and a kit with an incorrect acid balance. I am new to this as well but I think that for a high end kit like you have, you need to wait at least 6 month to a year or more before you drink it. If you want something you can drink quicker (while you are waiting for this one to mature) try one of the cheaper 10 liter kits. I have heard they are drinkable much faster. I have a Coastal Red that is still in the clearing stage and it is already almost drinkable. Just a little weak.

tanddc is correct, of course. Moreover, if you followed the directions to a T, then you presumably added a packet of potassium metabisulfite at the clearing/stabilizing stage. Malolactic bacteria will not thrive in a sulfited wine.

Have you tried this lately? I am curious to see when the profile of the wine changes. Also. What's does the currants add to wine? I see that many are adding these to the Secondary. What will they add to the wine?

I have an Australian petit verdot I would like to try it with.

Well Mark, if you think about it, adding raisins or currants to the primary imparts all the things that raisins/ currants have; tannins, sugars etc. The same can be said for adding them after racking to a carboy (so called secondary fermentation). Doing either adds body, flavor and mouth feel, I think doing so in the secondary is more noticeable.

I'm not familiar with petit verdot, or what level of kit you are making. I added my currants to the primary because they were small and I knew they would bugger up racking if I didn't have them in a strainer bag.

One last thought. Using Sunmaid raisins, as many do around here, are dried from a proprietary white grape, Zante currants are made from red grapes.

BC

Did any of your currants have sunflower oil added to them? The only ones i can find have that :/ I am worried that the oil will have a negative effect on the wine.

Don't use raisins with oil. I think it's Sunmaid that has a pkg marked Natural or something similar that is just plain old raisins. I've found dark raisins at Sams, and light raisins at Walmart. The oil would indeed cause problems in your wine.

BTW I have used dark raisins in a white wine and it made it a light blush. But I also added lots of fresh frozen fruit berries that had red skins, so that might have contributed a lot to the color change.

Hope this helps

pam in cinti

YES!!!! thank you! It looks like i have currants now that are extra!

What type of fruit could one add to a petit verdot?

Back