WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strayfromlife

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been thinking of trying this out, but it would be my first time working with grape skins. Has anyone tried this kit, any thoughts on it?

Tom, UK

I will be bottling this next week or two. It's excellent.

The grape skins really do not add any challenge to the process. The kit should come with a bag to push the grape skins in to keep the process clean and simple. I think you will find that the wine will turn out great.

I made this kit last year before it was Eclipse. It came out very good and this year I ordered the Eclipse version. It is in the carboy now. I started it on 4 Aug and will probably bulk age it for another 5 months before bottling. It makes a very good Cab and we quickly drank all 30 bottles so that's why I'm making it again.
The grape pack was no problem and adds a lot to the wine. I wish I had a large glass ball to put in to the bag with the grape pack to keep it submerged. Instead I poked the bag down twice a day. I tasted the wine last week and in has great flavor. Luckily I have other Cabs in my cellar to let this one age a year before drinking (hopefully). I would recommend this and other Eclipse mines for your cellar.

I just put this one into a carboy for long term aging on Friday with the oak cubes. It was on sale for $40 off and i had wanted to try an eclipse kit. I expect it will be a good kit but have no experience with the top line WE kits. I have done 5 RJS winery series and i think i will stick with those going forward. I found the eclipse kit to have allot of sediment/pulp during the process and more topping up was required than i remember with the RJS kits. Just my opinion

cheers

Putterrr - This is good info. I have done about 360 bottles, but have never done an RJS kit. I believe next time I'll try one. I have done all WE kits. I like the WE Eclipse Merlot for Red and the Sauvignon Blanc for White, but the Red Mt Cab is a favorite also. Do you recommend one?

I have the Eclipse cab in bulk aging for a month so far. Taste good but not great as of today but it is still early. The kit did require a lot of topping off. I also have the eclipse nero d avola in bulk aging. It too was always short at each racking by about 2-3 pints in a 6 gallon carboy. However the instructions clearly stated not to worry about the deficit and advised not to top off. I followed the directions. So far no oxidized taste.

I have the Eclipse cab in bulk aging for a month so far. Taste good but not great as of today but it is still early. The kit did require a lot of topping off. I also have the eclipse nero d avola in bulk aging. It too was always short at each racking by about 2-3 pints in a 6 gallon carboy. However the instructions clearly stated not to worry about the deficit and advised not to top off. I followed the directions. So far no oxidized taste.

i have no problem with the new instructions but that would leave me short of 30 bottles. Allot of money to end up with less than advertized. I wonder what the brew on site vendors do. If a customer pays $160 for 30 bottles and gets less, would they be happy or disappointed?

cheers

Putterrr - This is good info. I have done about 360 bottles, but have never done an RJS kit. I believe next time I'll try one. I have done all WE kits. I like the WE Eclipse Merlot for Red and the Sauvignon Blanc for White, but the Red Mt Cab is a favorite also. Do you recommend one?

I have only bottled 3 so far, Rosso Grande Eccellente, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenère, with 2 in bulk, Old Vine Zinfandel, Super Tuscan.

All good but i would give the nod to the Rosso at this point. it is also older than the other 2. Wade says the RJS WS Super Tuscan is the best kit he has ever made and he has made allot of them.

I have the Eclipse Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc waiting to start

Another thing i dont like about the Eclipse series is they advertize 18 L but that is 16 of juice and 2 of skins. The Winery Series does the same thing but they are $20 cheaper. An easy decision for me. At least the top line kits from RJS give you 18L of juice plus dried skins (some of the RJS RQ kits with the dried skins have been very good eg TREK). In time when i get to drink my eclipse kits i may say they are worth every penny but for now ...

cheers

i have no problem with the new instructions but that would leave me short of 30 bottles. Allot of money to end up with less than advertized. I wonder what the brew on site vendors do. If a customer pays $160 for 30 bottles and gets less, would they be happy or disappointed?

cheers
I have been making the WE SI with grape-skins kits as well as the Eclipse reds. I find that not only do I not have to top up, I have to reserve a half a bottle or so before stabilizing so I have room in the carboy to degas. After stabilizing, I do add most of a bottle of wine to top up after racking. Here's a tip: when racking from the primary to carboy and when racking before stabilizing, don't worry about taking some sediment over; take everything you can get. In fact, when racking before stabilizing, I don't even use the sediment bowl on my auto-siphon to get every last drop. I get thirty bottles and a little left over every time, and I haven't added water since I read the new instruction set that came with the WE LE 2012 Italian Nebbiolo.
PS I have had the Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cab in the bottle for a short time, and it is already quite good. I have tucked two bottles away in my 2 year box, but that will be the only ones that last that long!

Last edited:
Thanks Wineh. Will follow your recommendations going forward.

For an easier and neater stabilizing clearing process rack back to primary for this step. Then rack back to carboy. This also helps degas.

I never get 30 bottles but that's me. I end up with 26-28 all the time.

BTW - the Eclipse Nero kits are being discontinued. I called my merchant yesterday and was discussing other things and this came up. Winexpert is discontinuing the Nero d'Avola grape skins. If you liked that kit, you may want to pull the trigger. I bought one more and I ordered the new Spagnols RQ Nero kits for like $88; that's $11 less than Winexpert.

Just thought I'd pass the info along.

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't but I always get 26-28 bottles. I rack to a 5 gallon carboy and drink the rest or just bottle it and give it away so there is one way I lose a few bottles. I do not care because whether it's 26 or 30 bottles doesn't change my lifestyle and it makes it easier since I don't have to top off, etc.

USA Wine Maker. Did they say why the Eclipse Nero is being discontinued?? I love that grape.

I didn't ask but they just happened to mention it so that's why I bought another one. They said that they had like 20 of them and they were selling fast. I love that kit and the wine it makes. I'm looking forward to the Spagnol's RQ Nero kit. Should be equally as good.

I should get the Spagnol RQ nero kit so I can compare to the Eclipse. I just started to bulk age the Eclipse kit so the comparison can be made in almost real time.

The Nero kit from Spagnol's won't be released until March of next year but you can pre order them now. Better hurry because the deadline is November 1st. So far there is only one merchant who has them. Haven't been able to find anyone else. They have them for $88. Does anyone else have them? I would tell you who the merchant is but I'm not allowed to mention who that merchant is because the teacher said it's a no-no. We have to be good little lemmings. Message me if you can't find it.

I just looked at George's web site (we can mention him) and he doesn't have them listed yet. That's very strange strange. George is always quick to list specialty kits. Anyone know what's up with that?

Latest posts

Back