WineXpert Eclipse Italian Barolo vs. RSJ Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
Eclipse Italian Barolo vs. RJS Super Tuscan

I narrowed a few selections and came down to 2 for this round:

-WE Eclipse Barolo, online on sale for $111.85, with shipping total $134.57
-RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan for $125 local pickup around 20 miles one way from home.

I know this would be based on what I like but haven't tested either one....so looking for comments.

Hey Geek, How patient are you? I've got the RJS WS Super Tuscan going right now and it should be ready for at least a taste in about 4 months.
smilie.gif
Bought mine from our friends at Maltose.

geek said:
I narrowed a few selections and came down to 2 for this round: -WE Eclipse Barolo, online on sale for $111.85, with shipping total $134.57 -RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan for $125 local pickup around 20 miles one way from home. I know this would be based on what I like but haven't tested either one....so looking for comments.

Why isn't getting both an option?

If you like a large bold red that needs to age about two years, try the Barolo.
Commercial bottles of this wine average about $50 or more. It is considered one of the King of wines.

If you like a large bold red that needs to age about two years, try the Barolo.
Commercial bottles of this wine average about $50 or more. It is considered one of the King of wines.

sal, what would be the earliest to drink a Barolo?

If I were you I would pick up the Barolo. It's on sale - the Super Tuscan is regular price so you can pick it up anytime or when it goes on sale.

It's all really a choice between what type of red you want to drink. I would expect to age a Barolo style wine for atleast a couple of years as it can take that long for the finer characteristics to show through. The Super Tuscan requires aging, too, but it will be more drinkable sooner, I would expect.

the Barolo should bulk age a year in a carboy or oak barrel, then another year in the bottle. If you can stand it keep a few bottles to four years. I started a winery a few years back which I finally sold to my partner due to health reasons. However my kit wine cellar aged about four years since I was busy drinking the winery stuff. What a difference, although I did not plan it that way, but all of my bold reds really smoothed out and are great.

if you were to rate bold reds with the boldest first the ratings would be Barolo, Super Tuscan, Cab and then Merlot. doe some searches on the Barolo and Super Tuscan for taste profiles.

One thing to remember is that 'Super Tuscans' can vary in how big and bold they are because the blend ratio can vary. Compared to a Barolo, though, I think you'll find it more fruit forward and easier drinking with nice acidity. I think some people describe the WS Super Tuscan as having a certain sweetness to it (it's still dry, of course).

Latest posts

Back