EC-1118

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Yeast question

Since my winery stays approx 49-60 degrees at this time of the year can I start a chanti kit using the EC-1118 yeast? Was reading about yeasts and is stated that this yeast can tolerate 39-95 degrees. Does this mean I can use in cooler weather? and should yeast nutrient be added as well? I can put my brew belt around the primary to help raise temps. Should I start my kit now or wait for warmer weather?

thanx

rrawhide

The most challenging thing would be to get the yeast going, but the EC-1118 will work at cool temps. If you will use a belt on it. Just go ahead make a starter and when it is going good, put it on the bucket with a preheated belt(in other words start the kit or whatever and let the belt stay on it aday before adding the starter). That will get the must temp up and if the yeast is going good ahead, it should start fermenting the must fine. Yeast nutrient would be a good idea.

This might be a good excuse to build a poor man's stirplate out of an old PC fan and harddrive magnet.

Makes a huge difference in my ability to build up cell counts in a (relative) hurry.

Recently I used about 4 days of stirplate magic to revive a White Labs tube that had been expired for 11 months.

Ive read 45* for EC 1118. I would get it started at room temp and once it was going decent then bring it into you winery.

Latest posts

Back