Dryness question...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddportleft

Reaction score
The recipe I have says to ferment dry stabilize, backsweeten and age. My 6 gallons of must is .980 but is bubbling still about every 20 seconds at 72 degrees. What's that mean? Should I wait for it to completely stop bubbling?

I believe that is correct. Wait. Patience as it has been stated time and again is the wine maker's friend. I think that others would tell you to wait until the SG has been the same for three days before you stabilize and backsweeten. Others will chime in I'm sure to correct me if I'm wrong on this one. Welcome to the forum Redd!

Well, I figure that if it's still bubbling the yeast is still eating sugar and passing some gas... It was EC-1118 anyway. I understand its a pretty aggressive yeast.

The recipe I have says to ferment dry stabilize, backsweeten and age. My 6 gallons of must is .980 but is bubbling still about every 20 seconds at 72 degrees. What's that mean? Should I wait for it to completely stop bubbling?
First .980 is very low, I don't think most hydrometers will measure that low.

Bubbling means that CO2 is outgassing. It does not necessarily mean that the wine is still fermenting. At .990 or lower, I don't think that the wine will be still fermenting.

First thing I would do is confirm that .980 reading. is it actually .998 or .990? Both more likely readings than .980

and like Tonyp said "what are you making?"

Steve

Actually, my hydrometer fell below the lines on it. So, determining the depth of it I am deducing that it is around .980. I am making pineapple wine with a recipe a friend gave me based on Skeeter Pee and a wine he had in Hawaii. Wish me luck.

Latest posts

Back