Drying your carboy.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a carboy drier that aids in the drying of carboys. It also helps to use warm water in my opinion as it evaporates easier.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5167 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2250_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Carboy Dryer

Plastic dryer that is easy to clean &amp; sanitize &amp; is top shelf dishwasher safe.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$9.99</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$9.99 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td></tr></t></table>

I just turn mine upside down in the plastic primary bucket. It seems to dry very well there.

Why are you concerned with them drying completely?

I rinse with hot water and they dry fairly quickly and never have set them upside down to drain.

I don't dry mine at all. On the contrary. I keep a gallon of sanitizing x-Meta(take your choice of Na or K-Meta- so I'll call it x-Meta) on hand. After rinsing and giving it a quick drain, I pour in a cup of sanitizing strength x-Meta. I then take an airlock filled with x-Meta and cap the carboy with it. It fills the carboy with SO2 and keeps it sterile until my next use. When I need it again I just drain the carboy and use it.

Ditto....we keep some K-meta solution in our 'empty' carboys till the next use...which usually is within a few days.....not many empty for long storage.

BUT......I am seeing a haze in a couple of our carboys. I think it is our hard/calcium water buildup....I clean my dishes in the dishwasher [as well as the dishwasher] with a product called Iron Out....we do not have iron in our water...but that product will take the hard water buildup off the glassware and make my black plates black again instead of grey. I run this product through a full dishwasher every couple weeks to keep things sparkling.

smiley25.gif
I am thinking of rinsing the carboys with some of this product....Do you think it would be okay...I would rinse real well....
smiley25.gif

I too put some K-meta solution in the carboy after cleaning. I just use some plastic wrap and a rubber band to seal it, so I don't have to worry about knocking off the airlock.

We shove a paper towel into it with some k-meta in the carboy. Helps keep the spiders out.
smiley3.gif
Edited by: PolishWineP

Latest posts

Back