Dropped Bung In Must!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldwyn

No, really... I am!
Reaction score
Been brewing and making meads off and on for close to 15 years, but trying a wine kit (Chilean Chardonnay) tonight for the first time, and something happened to me which hasnt happened before...

All went well... until I pushed the airlock into the top of the bucket. When I did so, the little rubber o-ring/bung dropped into the must! Doh!

I opened the top again, expecting to see it floating on the surface, but no dice. It had sank. I didnt want to go digging for it, since I had just pitched the yeast (not to mention the film of oak floating on top).

So I closed it back up, and surrounded the airlock with duct tape. Seems like a good seal, because if I push on the top, the airlock bubbles.

The thing should be clean since I had cleaned and sanitized the top with c-brite.

Is the bung/o-ring going to cause me issues? I would assume not, but figured I would check here to see if anyone had experienced this issue before, and how it turned out.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Aldwyn

I don't think you will have any problems. It is just rubber. I make a point of installing the airlock in the lid away from the fermenter before snapping down the lid for this very reason.

I don't think you will have any problems. It is just rubber. I make a point of installing the airlock in the lid away from the fermenter before snapping down the lid for this very reason.

Thanks, Rocky. Good idea!

Live and learn. :)

I think you will be fine Al, don't sweat it.

Don't let it happen again.

You may end up in the corner to reflect your errors!!

LMAO!

It most likely isn't or wont be a problem. If it really bothers you, go to the hardware store, buy a cheap pair of long rubber gloves, sanitize them and play treasure hunter, but, I really wouldn't worry about it.

There have been lots of stories about insects that have met their fate in a bucket of must!!!

LOL again!

So you don't think this is unusual, I would dare say over half of all home winemakers have this happen at some point. Wait until you rack off the lees and retrieve it then in a sieve. Also you do not need or really want a tight seal for a few days so the yeast has adequate 02 for multiplication. I would crack the lid and even a daily stir with a sanitized spoon is a good idea to keep the yeast happy. Then after it reaches about 1.020 snap the lid down.

I wish this would be explained further to new wine makers.

So many instructions say attach an airlock during the primary ferment, but, we know basic chemistry says the yeast needs oxegen to breath.

And then we have wines that have fruits, etc, that form a cap.

These need to be resubmerged at least once a day. So the idea of an airlock at this stage is now void.

Some wines call for stirring daily. How can this be done if it is under an airlock?

:a1

Thanks, guys!

Interesting to know it shouldn't be locked down yet... maybe it's serendipitous that it happened, so that my yeasties could breath better!

Maybe the topic deserves it's own thread, but I'll chime in as my experience (albeit limited comparatively speaking to most here) differs.

Thus far I reside in the 'under airlock' during primary phase. I have always figured that if you are punching your cap or straining bag of fruit ect ect and giving the must a stir a couple of times a day you are introducing enough oxygen to keep the yeast happy. Now perhaps my logic is flawed but I have yet to experience (knock on wood) a stuck fermentation.

Edit: After re-reading Arcticsid's post, I see my post could be read as confusing. I do stir daily but I always snap down the lid which always has an airlock attached to it. The airlock is probably not necessary but it's the way I've always done it. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Last edited:
My kit (Winexpert Select International Chilean Chardonnay) doesn't say anything about stirring daily... Though when I make mead, I do stir daily and replace the top/airlock.

I figured that for some reason, chardonnay was different since the instructions to stir was not int he instructions.

So it's usually recommended to stir daily with a kit such as this?

Maybe the topic deserves it's own thread, but I'll chime in as my experience (albeit limited comparatively speaking to most here) differs.

Thus far I reside in the 'under airlock' during primary phase. I have always figured that if you are punching your cap or straining bag of fruit ect ect and giving the must a stir a couple of times a day you are introducing enough oxygen to keep the yeast happy. Now perhaps my logic is flawed but I have yet to experience (knock on wood) a stuck fermentation.

Edit: After re-reading Arcticsid's post, I see my post could be read as confusing. I do stir daily but I always snap down the lid which always has an airlock attached to it. The airlock is probably not necessary but it's the way I've always done it. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Aldwyn,

I have not made many kit wines. Of the few I have made, I did not stir the must daily. I snapped the lid down and left it alone per the instructions. It has always worked for me thus far but my sample size is very small.

Umm, the wonderful smell of fermenting rubber. LOL, don't believe you will have a bit of trouble with it. Arne.

I have also done this and freaked out about it too. I retrived it with a pair od sanitized tongs, and my wine turned out fine...

This happened to my very first batch. I went to put the airlock in the bucket lid and the black ring fell in. I was really concerned until I read some posts on here about not needing an airlock for primary. I stirred the wine a lot trying to bring the ring to the top without any luck. I just covered the must with a thin towel.

At about day 2-3 of fermentation the black ring actually floated to the top of the must with all the bubbles. So keep your eye on it, it might come back to you.

Last time that happened to me was the little rubber gromit on the primary bucket. I just washed my hands with Ivory soap (no residue) followed by a sulfiel rinse. Then I just reached in and grabbed it. No ill effects

Last time that happened to me was the little rubber gromit on the primary bucket. I just washed my hands with Ivory soap (no residue) followed by a sulfiel rinse. Then I just reached in and grabbed it. No ill effects

I'm guessing that after 2 weeks, he's retrieved it. LOL ::

Why, should I have done something with the bucket? I thought I was suppose to leave it alone for 6 months!

Just kidding. :)

The bung ring never floated up. It was in the sludge at the bottom when I racked it, and is now back in the lid where it belongs!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back