Dragons Blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making another batch. According to Dave’s instructions and my notes, last time I removed the fruit at 1.000 and snapped the lid for five days before racking to a carboy. Wondering why I didn’t leave the fruit in the bucket for those five days as I do with grape skins. Any reason why I couldn’t try that this time round?

Making another batch. According to Dave’s instructions and my notes, last time I removed the fruit at 1.000 and snapped the lid for five days before racking to a carboy. Wondering why I didn’t leave the fruit in the bucket for those five days as I do with grape skins. Any reason why I couldn’t try that this time round?
You certainly could leave the bag for another 5 days. I do think the fruit would get a little messy by then, though.

On second though, if you're looking for more flavor why not add more fruit at the beginning.

30 hours since I pitched 71-b starter. Must temperature 75F. Just gave it a stir. Does this look like it’s starting to ferment? I realize the lemon juice is acidic but 30 hours has me concerned. Should I be?

Attachments

• IMG_2090.jpeg
    IMG_2090.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
This is a first. Took a gravity reading on the DB. It sank all the way to the red dot. Would you read that .988?

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
This is a first. Took a gravity reading on the DB. It sank all the way to the red dot. Would you read that .988?
Yep, looks like .988 to me. Yeast gonna do what yeast gonna do!

It could be that your hydrometer is just that much off. Or the temperature of the wine makes enough of a difference to the measurement. For my purposes as a home winemaker, as long as I got the same reading 3 days in a row, I would consider it done.

Yep, looks like .988 to me. Yeast gonna do what yeast gonna do!

It could be that your hydrometer is just that much off. Or the temperature of the wine makes enough of a difference to the measurement. For my purposes as a home winemaker, as long as I got the same reading 3 days in a row, I would consider it done.
Checked the hydrometer in water. It’s spot on. DB at 70F. The correction is to add .001. That’s minimal. I’m racking to secondary carboy and of course will check later in the process. I posted this because never have I seen the hydrometer buried like this.

Back