Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as back sweetening gos and the simple syrup. I don't even bother. I dump the sugar in. I Stir it really well then let it set all night to make sure the sugar is dissolved then I start to degas. All the degassing gets it mixed in very well

tess the wine is very good, i used 12each 30 ounce cans of dole pineapple juice. after it was degassed, i added one 30 ounce can mixed with 5 cups sugar to give it just a hint more flavor.

i dont measure sugar at start, i just start out a 1.110 on hydrometer.

My batch of DB is coming along nicely!! I was curious about back sweetening. I would like to back sweeten using a small, maybe 1lb bag, of the triple berry mix and some granulated sugar.

Would I have to add pectic enzyme to the new sugar/fruit combo even though I added it at the beginning of the process?

I have read threads regarding making an F pack so I'm guessing this would be the same thing?

If I do add the pectic enzyme how much should I use?

Hey, RotGut! I agree with James. He has made a lot of DB, in many variations, so follow his lead. You're not going to get a whole lot of liquid out of that 1 pound of fruit, so you may have to add a little bit of water if you want to use, say, four or five cups of sugar. A simple syrup would have a 2:1 ratio of sugar to water. No pectic enzyme required if you added it earlier in the primary.

Great idea, though. I have used the fruit (with suagr) to back sweeten before. It produces a very appealing deeper fruity flavor and color. You'll love it!

tess the wine is very good, i used 12each 30 ounce cans of dole pineapple juice. after it was degassed, i added one 30 ounce can mixed with 5 cups sugar to give it just a hint more flavor.

i dont measure sugar at start, i just start out a 1.110 on hydrometer.

I been thinking of using juice instead of all that water. Like Maybe apple juice and Black berrys for a BlackJack

that sounds like an interesting one...apples would give it delicate taste, blackberrys can be pungent and acidic.

beardy, if u around.
some freinds came over last night and I was making some redandblack.
had not added the yeast.
we mixed some of the juice with some vodka and made high octane
smoothies......had to make more juice this am to start my wine..we drank a lot.

We had our annual block party last night. One if the neighbors was drinking a white wine with fruit in it my wife mentioned my wine making and had me run home for a bottle of dragon blood. 3 o the neighborhood women devoured the bottle in minutes. One of them became suck a fan she offered to buy bottled off of me ( I refused ) she offered to put money in an envelope and leave it under a black glass like rock ( I refused). Finally I told her I have no problem adding her name to my holiday wine gift list.
Looks like I will have to make another batch of DB after I finish some SP.

But 3 more converts to DB!

beardy, if u around.
some freinds came over last night and I was making some redandblack.
had not added the yeast.
we mixed some of the juice with some vodka and made high octane
smoothies......had to make more juice this am to start my wine..we drank a lot.

Hahaha I absolutely believe it!!

Elmer said:
Looks like I will have to make another batch of DB after I finish some SP.
But 3 more converts to DB!
You could always point them here and show them how to make it themselves..

I already have to start another batch. Mine is almost half gone already with the help of my son! lol

Im having a bbq today, i just put out a 5 gallon container with ice packs outside, and my helpers are into it all ready...party starts at 6.
i made 5 gallons of gin and tonics with fresh lime also..I am in that....lol

Bottled my 5 gallons tonight. I used all my clear bottles for my Skeeter Juice so I had mostly Chardonnay and Merlot bottles. Also I just ran out so the last gallon just went into a jug. I'm figuring that will be the first to go when the Lady gets into it ha!

ForumRunner_20130902_234416.jpg

Nice variety, beardy! Keep speading the word!

Elmer's making converts. I made this for my wife, originally, so the ladies really love it! I know, guys like it, too!

yellow blood, made from 100% dole pineapple (juice)....4 30 oz cans each gallon, with a little top off with polish vodka...kick it up a notch....

20130903_155223.jpg

James,
When you say "4 30 oz cans each gallon", what do you mean? For a 6 gallon batch, would that be 24 of the 30 oz cans of pineapple juice and enough sugar to reach your starting SG of 1.10? Do you add water to get to the 6 gallon mark?

yea 24 cans, each can is 30 oz...and added sugar to get to 1.110 .
i added water to get to get to 6 gallons...
then racked to a 5 gallon with some topping off material.
i bought an xtra can and made a simple syrup out of it with sugar to sweeten . it was really dry ...
but its excellent wine.
so the juice (bought on sale) was 40.00 plus a few bucks for chemicals, plus about 8 in sugar..
thats about 50 buck for 15 bottles of high abv wine...
cant go wrong

Latest posts

Back