Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had to put this off due to vacations and other commitments, but it is time to see what all the excitement is about! I moved the berries from the freezer to the fridge last night. Gonna throw it all in the bucket tonight. This first batch I will go strictly by the recipe. The only exception is that our Walmart did not have the Wyman's blend that Dave uses; it has blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. I've since discovered that our Sam's does carry the blackberry, blueberry, and raspberry blend so that may be my next batch. Wish me luck...

I kept getting short changed on my wine, by adding water then berries then adding water to the 6 gallon mark.
what i do now , is add 6 gallons water, then the sugar and chemicals, then the berries,plus additional 6 lbs berries, then wait 12 hours and pitch yeast.
wait over night
James,
Does all of that still fit in a 7.9 gal plastic primary and leave room to stir?

OK, Im going to be starting another 6 gallons of DB this week. Dave, I know you said you no longer use any lemon juice is that correct? You use an acid Blend right? How much do I add to 6 gallons of DB? did you go back and edit your original recipe any?

I am curious to see how you like the acid blend only version. We have made it and did not like it compared to the scaled back lemon juice version. It was very flat and different. Completely different product in our opinion.

jet jockey, when i make a batch of 6 gallon db..I use a 52 quart igloo ice chest.
it is only in the igloo for 4 to 7 days, no harm there.

fabulouswines, my wallmart had the same thing, and my first batch was with that brand of berries....my second was also from sams club.
i really liked the first one better.....
i have a gigantic batch going are starting, and used the one from sams club, becuase it was 125 cheaper to buy from sams then wallmart.

i love what you did with the original pee recipe, i've been modding it for a few years now as well, and i do a Iced Tea/Lemonade version that's pretty tasty

I'm also thinking of cutting back the lemon juice on my second batch.. Is it necessary to add acid blend? If so is there a way to judge how much to add for how much lemon juice I cut out?.. Still deciding if I want to try the same fruit or change it with something else.. Really want to try the tropical version some talked about..

i really dont know if its correct but i cut my lemon juice by a third and add acid blend according to mfg directions per gallon.

Oooh. Its payday. DB batch will be started as soon as I have a free hour or 2!!!

Bottled my Skeeter Pee yesterday and it's beautiful. Just started my first batch of Dragon's Blood. Why didn't someone tell me how impossibly hard it is to stuff 6 lbs of fruit into a thigh-hi stocking??? LOL!

I'm also thinking of cutting back the lemon juice on my second batch.. Is it necessary to add acid blend? If so is there a way to judge how much to add for how much lemon juice I cut out?.. Still deciding if I want to try the same fruit or change it with something else.. Really want to try the tropical version some talked about..

Depends how much you are cutting it back. I cut mine in half (compared to the original recipe) and don't add any acid blend. It turns out great.

My wife wants me to make DB. We bought the ingredients, however I don't have Sparkalloid. I have Isinglass and SuperKleer. Will one of those work and is one better than the other?

So my first batch of Dragon Blood was AWSOME as soon as it was clear. Second batch, prepared exactly the same way has some issues. It is crystal clear and tasty but gives nasty next day headaches... it doesnt bother me all that much but it incapacitates my girlfriend. Hopefully this ages out. The batch of skeeter pee I made at the same time is headache free. Damn yeast...

My wife wants me to make DB. We bought the ingredients, however I don't have Sparkalloid. I have Isinglass and SuperKleer. Will one of those work and is one better than the other?

What about bentonite? Thats all I have... im assuming ANY fining agent will work...

Thanks James, that is what I thought.

Beardy, Dave did some experiments with Sparkalloid vs Sparkalloid + bentonite and decided that DB was better without the bentonite. Now I don't know how it would work alone. I just don't like the fluffy lees you get with the bentonite.

Latest posts

Back