Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would the same time frame apply if I used apple juice instead of water in the dragon blood recipe?

Now that is an interesting combo. Let us know how it goes if you try it.

Funny about the names. Everyone on my end kept turning their noses up at "Skeeter Pee", since the DB was based on Lon's recipe, after all. I came up with the Dragon Blood name---cause of the color---and the folks were fine with that. Must be vamps in my family circle. :D

Beardy has a good idea. I have thought of trying Welch's white grape juice as the base liquid, then sugar it up to desired SG, then throw in the berries, but have yet to try it. My wife keeps rolling her eyes whenever I try something new with the DB. She just wants the original. So, every experimental batch has to have an original right next to it. Keeps the wife happy! Happy wife = happy me! :h

Last edited:
Dragonette was a lighter, friendlier version of the DB. I have to say I was not pleased with the Dragonette. Others might like it, so I included that version in the pdf file. There may be a way to improve the results without lemon juice in the must.

Bottled my Skeeter Pee yesterday and it's beautiful. Just started my first batch of Dragon's Blood. Why didn't someone tell me how impossibly hard it is to stuff 6 lbs of fruit into a thigh-hi stocking??? LOL!

You might try this. Buy one of those cross-stitch hoops at a hobby or thrift store. About 6" or 7" diameter is about right. Also obtain 2 pieces of wood, 1" by 1" or so and long enough to fit across the fermentation bucket with 3" overlap. That is 4-5 inches longer than the top of the bucket. Fit the stocking onto the hoop and set the hoop over the bucket on the wooden rods. Pour the fruit in, shaking occasionally to settle it. Tie off with a twist tie from a bread wrapper. Or use one from the junk drawer in the kitchen. When done fermenting, squeeze juices out and pitch the stocking. No fuss, no muss. BTW, I use knee highs for this all the time. Great for raisins.
Also, I don't recommend using round wooden dowels for this as they tend to roll out from under the hoop and then you have to go "hoop diving".
You do wash your hands before starting the wine process.

Don't you?

Last edited:
Hoop diving in DB! That sounds more fun than bobbing for apples. Why wash your hands, as they are supposed to be behind your back?

Great tip for using knee highs!

Thanks Barryjo

Yes, Bob, thanks for asking.

For those who haven't heard, I made a batch of DB (back in June, actually) and got it clear. Then, prior to racking it off the fine lees (following clearing by Sparkolloid), I added a cup of toasted French oak and 3# of the same Triple Berry Blend used to make the must to the recieving carboy and racked the DB into it. I let this sit for just under a month---stirring it up at irregular intervals. Last week, being nicely settled out, I racked the DB off the oak and fruit, then back sweetened. It is now resting, waiting to be bottled (soon). It is definitely fruitier (as expected), and the sharp lemon tang has virtually vanished. It is very smooth and falvorful, even at this early juncture. I'll be retasting at bottling (next week, likely), and then at intervals over the next few months---that is if my lovely wife doesn't get into it! :dgShe loves her some DB!

My first batch is showing all signs of a complete fermentation. It has settled out at 0.992 for the last two days. With all likelihood I will be completing Step 4 tonight.

Every time I have the lid off and my wife walks by, she comments, "looks good" or "smells good" or the one I like, "when are we gonna be able to bottle that?" I may have to hide this batch...

Could be coincidence, but it seemed to me the fruit flies were a tad more with this batch than others I have done recently.

Anxious to hear results on your testing, Dave. I am thinking about oaking the next batch...

Wives love it, FAB! You have now entered the DB Zone. The first batch is never the last! ;)

I have yet to find someone that doesn't like it. My carboys are full as I'm bulk aging a few kits. I'm dying to start another batch as I'm running low.

Has anyone bottled in beer bottles like skeeter pee? I'm thinking they would make nice single serving sizes for out by the pool. We drink DB on ice with a little fruit in the glass.

Bottled my Skeeter Pee yesterday and it's beautiful. Just started my first batch of Dragon's Blood. Why didn't someone tell me how impossibly hard it is to stuff 6 lbs of fruit into a thigh-hi stocking??? LOL!

I learned that the hard way.
I held the stocking and had my kids dumping the fruit in. While they did this I continue shaking the stocking and letting it all fall in.

This became an Equivalent of a workout, and I dont like mixing working out and wine!

I went and bought a straining bag before I started my next batch!

Just tasted my first attempt at DB, really awesome! Thanks Dave for all you diligence with this recipe... I did notice that most of the back sweetening seems to be with granulated sugar (per the recipe), but as I was tasting it last night it reminded me slightly of Grenadine. Considering its low cost, similar color and fruit profile (and I beleive it already contains sorbate)... has anyone tried this yet?

Sorry, should have done my research before I posted... It would take over a liter of the grenading to sweeten properly by my calculations, and unless you can get a more naturally based brand, grenadine's first ingredient is high frustose corn syrup, something to be avoided. So considering this, any recommendations for alternative back sweetening?

i make simple syrup from strawberries...i take a 2 lb of strawberries
cut up and add to a pot, with 4 cups sugar,and one cup water. cook it until it reduces by a third, cool and stir in dragon blood.

Has anyone made a batch or Dragon Blood that gives killer headaches?
First batch perfect out of the carboy. Second batch, same method: Headaches after a glass or two.

Maybe on your second batch you mis-measured the kmeta. Wines high in kmeta tend to give me headaches.

Its gives me a badddd hang over if I drink to much. I am one who did not like it.
Not my first batch, not until a few months in the bottle. To be fair my kids and family loved it from day one so might just be me.
I have my second batch going now. Fermentation has slowed down some but that OK by me. Im not in a hurry. It will be done when its done!!

i make simple syrup from strawberries...i take a 2 lb of strawberries
cut up and add to a pot, with 4 cups sugar,and one cup water. cook it until it reduces by a third, cool and stir in dragon blood.

This sounds wonderful James. Im gonna do this with this batch.

Ever back sweetened with strawberry glaze. you know, the kind thats in the produce department next to the strawberries. That Thick red glaz in plastic you use for strawberry short cake and strawberry pies? Just popped into my head. Might be good. One pack anyway

Latest posts

Back