Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I've been degassing with a whip for close to an hour now is this normal? I'm doing to test by putting a sample in a test jar and capping the top and shaking but I'm still getting a lot of gas escape :/

Some batches hold more gas than others. You'll just have to keep at it. We all have difficult degassing stories. Eventually, you are going to want a vacuum pump. My Allinone is the best investment I have made toward easier wine making.

dangerdave said:
Some batches hold more gas than others. You'll just have to keep at it. We all have difficult degassing stories. Eventually, you are going to want a vacuum pump. My Allinone is the best investment I have made toward easier wine making.

Ya I was already thinking about getting one just have to wait to the right time.. But for now ill just "whip it" lol

When using the whip what is the best technique? Find a speed that doesn't overflow it and keep it steady or do quick fast bursts and lest it settle for a few seconds?

And can I degass more after adding sparkaloid?

Last edited:
Ok we'll I'm calling it a night been degassing for two hours now and still showing signs of gas. I did not add sparkaloid tonight and will continue to degass tomorrow after work.. Any helpful tips would so appreciated..

I had trouble degassing mine too. It took 2 days. Just be careful when you're using the whip you don't add more air. I learned to hold steady to the side at a med. speed and let her go. That's what works for me anyway. Keep at it it'll get done.

vernsgal said:
I had trouble degassing mine too. It took 2 days. Just be careful when you're using the whip you don't add more air. I learned to hold steady to the side at a med. speed and let her go. That's what works for me anyway. Keep at it it'll get done.

Ok is there a way to know of I'm adding air to it? Should I wait to add sparkaloid until it completly degassed?

Try to avoid creating a vortex that pulls air down into the wine. Degas completely before adding sparkolloid or it will not clear properly. You da man, Steve! Keep at it. You'll get it done, and it will be worth it!

Temp is important for proper degassing as well. The wine should be in the 70's (F).

Go, man, go! ;)

I had a problem batch of DB my first batch. I thought I had degassed enough so I let it sit a month and bottled it. After a few weeks one bottle actually popped a cork and shot berry wine all over the carpet. Now I usually degas a good amount spread out over two days. Like mentioned make sure you don't create a vortex. I found that even water will make a slight 'poof' if you shake it up in a test tube so try to go by how long the bubbles take to dissipate and, even better, by taste. You can taste the slight carbonation on your tongue. Good luck.

Ok thanx Dave and trip. I will be at it again tonight as soon as I get home from work. I'm tryin to be patient which really isn't one of my strong suites . But I really want this to turn out right. Correct me if I'm wrong but the bubbles will never totally disappear they will just dissolve faster.. And yes I realize that air will still make the pff sound after being shaken but it was still pretty bad last night..

Thnx again guys ill let you know how it for tonight..

I had a problem batch of DB my first batch. I thought I had degassed enough so I let it sit a month and bottled it. After a few weeks one bottle actually popped a cork and shot berry wine all over the carpet. Now I usually degas a good amount spread out over two days. Like mentioned make sure you don't create a vortex. I found that even water will make a slight 'poof' if you shake it up in a test tube so try to go by how long the bubbles take to dissipate and, even better, by taste. You can taste the slight carbonation on your tongue. Good luck.

I'm doubtful that excess CO2 in the wine is the reason for a popped cork, especially after the bottle sat a few weeks. My guess would be it was not done fermenting or you had renewed fermentation after sweetening.

Well degassing with one hand and typing with the other.. Going on 4 hours total time now ..I think to just about done , the bubbles dissipate much faster now and the wine did taste very flat but what do I know lol... The shake test still let's a little gas out but as said it will never fully go away.. Ill keep at it for a but longer and then taste again..

And while I'm here it is necessary to top off the carboy at this stage after adding sparkaloid ...

Steve

how much of a gap are we talking....if it is more then 3 inches I would..some cheap wine, are juice are something besides water.

WI_Wino said:
I'm doubtful that excess CO2 in the wine is the reason for a popped cork, especially after the bottle sat a few weeks. My guess would be it was not done fermenting or you had renewed fermentation after sweetening.

I thought so too but a quick reading confirmed SG was holding after back sweetening. I had a thread on this. I did move the wine from the basement (65 degrees) to the dining room (75 degrees) and I think that had something to do with it. Granted I'm still new to this so... I bought a vacuum pump and re-opened all the bottles. I had quite a bit of CO2 still in the wine and worked it till it would hold 20 HG for 10 minutes or so. I think some of it was not stirring hard enough each day and thereby not helping with off gassing. The second batch I made was nowhere near as gassy.

Just finished my 2nd batch.
5 gallons (once I dispense of the goop)
I sweetened with 4 1/2 cup of sugar.
(my 1st bacth I used 3 1/2 cup and it was a bit dry, which allowed the berry to pop through.)
This time I decided to sweeten it up to compare, but I am also not going to bottle for a bit, I am going to let it sit for about a month and bulk age!

Of course over the weekend my mother in law fell in love with DB. She drank a bottle and is now demand I supply her with 2 more!

well, now you have a free carboy, better get another batch started,
give your mother in law a case, that will keep her happy..lol
do the goop dance.

OK, Im going to be starting another 6 gallons of DB this week. Dave, I know you said you no longer use any lemon juice is that correct? You use an acid Blend right? How much do I add to 6 gallons of DB? did you go back and edit your original recipe any?

James you have made enough of it Im sure you can answer this as well ;)

also, are you oaking it know. I have some medium toast should I go for it? lol

I still use lemon juice but only 1/3 as the original , i do use 1 1/2 tsp per 6 gallons,acid blend.and i leave out the tannin. the acid blend kinda helps for the reduced amount of lemon juice...I think.
here is something else i do...
I kept getting short changed on my wine, by adding water then berries then adding water to the 6 gallon mark.
what i do now , is add 6 gallons water, then the sugar and chemicals, then the berries,plus additional 6 lbs berries, then wait 12 hours and pitch yeast.
wait over night

Latest posts

Back