Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used bananas in my DB to add body, and there are some who say (without prompting) that they taste a hint of banana, but it's lost on me. I much prefer---and am a new convert---of post fermentation enhancement of wine with oak and/or fruit.

I have seen people on here posting regarding banana wine recipes. Do a search and see if you can glean some info on how to make your wine actually taste like bananas. We have so many awesome wine makers, here!

Ya I will have to research it a bit before trying it.. It's just weird how some fruits will produce a flavor and some won't .. Any other fruits I should look out for not producing much flavor ?

From my experience, fermenting cherries does not produce what you would expect. I made a Skeeter Pee using dark sweet cherries (ala Dragon Blood version), but it ended up with virtually no "cherry" flavor. This was successfully remedied by adding a single packet of cherry Kool Aid to the six gallon carboy. I have several bottles left from last year's batch, and they are fantastic (I'm keeping them hidden).

stevolution said:
Ya I will have to research it a bit before trying it.. It's just weird how some fruits will produce a flavor and some won't .. Any other fruits I should look out for not producing much flavor ?

Grapes. Lol.

Well it's doing along nicely. SG was about 1.024 and starting to look much better not to mention smell much better lol.. Now hopefully my other wine is ready to bottle by the time I have to rack my DB..

image-887327805.jpg

image-718011298.jpg

image-3526935350.jpg

image-4117488671.jpg

sure there is...recipes here on forum for banana wine.
i think that if you wanted to make a db and add bananas i would cook them down to a syrup.start with like 5 lbs...ripe...peeled.
add to large pot, and cook on med until it is reduced until it looks like a thick gravy. it will be very strong. you basically making extracted banana flavoring.
are you can just buy some 100 percent pure, extract.

Great conversation, folks. I'm glad the recipe is still making converts. Tess, you are a wonder! Thank you for fielding questions. You too, DJ. You guys are great.

Several notes: Even if you use fresh fruit, freeze it first, then thaw it prior to use. Freezing causes the cells to rupture, releasing all the fruity goodness within. I ferment to dry in the primary, always. Lay the lid on loose for easy squeezing, and cover with a towel to keep out the fruit flies. I never snap down the lid, and don't transfer to a carboy until it is totally dry, and ready to stabilize and sparkolloid.

Tess, it's like I tell everyone. DB improves a great deal in the first few weeks to months in the bottle. In a year---if you can stash a few bottles that long---it gets sooooo smooth! I have a few bottles left from last year including DB and some Jet Blue that I've been drinking. They are indeed remarkable!

Welcome to the DB family, Steve! It's a very happy family! ;)

your welcome Dave. I just had to share this with you tonight. I just got a call from a friend wanting to order 10 cases of Dragons Blood!! LMAO ..Funny and Sad at the same time!! Of course I cant sell it and wont but what a compliment to your recipe!! Just wanted to share!! She drank a bottle with me over the weekend

tess...only one bottle for two people over a weekend.....dang
i was thinking more of 6, but I guess im a lush...
it is good isnt it...

tess...only one bottle for two people over a weekend.....dang
i was thinking more of 6, but I guess im a lush...
it is good isnt it...

James, I starting a new Batch Of DB tomorrow. Im down to 5 bottles!!! Why Im so stingy with it!! :)

lol, i know the feeling...i need to start a batch also..and i have every primary full...seriously thinking of breaking out my igloos for primarys.

Reading this makes me want to drink this now!!!! You people may be a bad influence on me lol;)

Just racked my 2nd batch.

of course spent yesterday recouping from 3 days of golf & Phish.
2 bottles and my pool did the trick.

but I am down to 12 bottles. I have gone through 12 in 2 weeks.
Mostly myself.
I dont share so well!

If they multiplied for free, I'd be OK. But, they multiply and so does the cost!

If you started your SG around 1.075-1.080 you will end up with around 12%ABV, depending on how dry you run it.
It does not have an overpowering alcohol flavor to it, it is a very easy drinker. However, if you are saying you drank 3 bottles and didn't get very "happy", we may have to get you help. :)

Yeah no kidding Lol. I OG was 1.075 and my FG was .999 before adding more sugar making 1.010. Granted after 3 bottles im sure my face was a little red from the effects but for the most part i was still walking just fine, That scares me lol.

Its sad really. I have given out 2 bottles as gifts and hogged the other 20 something to myself and i only have 10 left. Keep in mind that I only bottled this stuff 2 weeks ago. At this rate i will not be able to keep any on hand to age for a few months. As stevolution said a little while ago you guys are a bad influence on me.

Back