Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think this recipe would work for other fruit as well? You use 6 pounds of the tripple berry blend what if you just used 6 pounds of the frozen blueberries?

Yes, I have used other fruits with the same results. Use whatever fruit you like. I've done peach, blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, the standard triple berry, and a great tropical blend of peach/mango/pineapple/strawberry (which I highly recommend). You can make any of these with or without lemon juice as well. There are many variations to date. I'm trying to figure out what to try next! Plum? Pear? Concord grape, maybe. This recipe is intended to be highly adaptable for making quick batches of easy-drinking fruit wine while your "good stuff" ages. Winos need wine, after all.

I really don't mind the questions one bit. I'll repeat myself as many times as necessary to get everyone making good wine fast and furious(ly). The continued interest in this recipe is amazing.

I hope everyone continues with their successes, like Deanna (above). Yours looks great!!! :try

Last edited:
Yes, I have used other fruits with the same results. Use whatever fruit you like. I've done peach, blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, the standard triple berry, and a great tropical blend of peach/mango/pineapple/strawberry (which I highly recommend). You can make any of these with or without lemon juice as well. There are many variations to date. I'm trying to figure out what to try next! Plum? Pear? Concord grape, maybe. This recipe is intended to be highly adaptable for making quick batches of easy-drinking fruit wine while your "good stuff" ages. Winos need wine, after all.

I really don't mind the questions one bit. I'll repeat myself as many times as necessary to get everyone making good wine fast and furious(ly). The continued interest in this recipe is amazing.

I hope everyone continues with their successes, like Deanna (above). Yours looks great!!! :try

Thanks!!!!! We bottled 24 bottles of it, and the leftover was put in a plastic pitcher in our refrigerator for our immediate enjoyment. After all, we've heard a glass of wine a night is good for you...

I just ordered a new carboy to give this a try. The colour is so pretty. I was wondering, if I tried it with 48ounces of fresh squeezed orange juice instead of Lemon Juice do you think it would make a huge difference? Can you think of anything that might require adjusting?

I just ordered a new carboy to give this a try. The colour is so pretty. I was wondering, if I tried it with 48ounces of fresh squeezed orange juice instead of Lemon Juice do you think it would make a huge difference? Can you think of anything that might require adjusting?

Now that is a cool idea!

Lemon juice is a LOT more acidic. Like 3-5 times as much.

That's what I was thinking (didn't know it was that much though) but I read a number of comments where people commented that they couldn't enjoy it because of reflux so I figured the OJ might be a decent compromise. Would the difference in acidity require much adjustment do you think?

That's what I was thinking. There are people that don't even add any lemon at all because of this. Orange juice might be a really nice twist on things.

Most of the dragon blood variants that don't use lemon juice have acid blend added. There are a few different recipes out there. I would love to know how a variant with orange juice and some acid blend would turn out.

I'm thinking about doing one with grapefruit and oranges, but how much acid blend would I need?

I picked up some lemon juice for this over the weekend. I notice it contains preservatives. Will this become a problem with fermentation? I have always tried to stay away from these when selecting juice.

Thanks

Most of the dragon blood variants that don't use lemon juice have acid blend added. There are a few different recipes out there. I would love to know how a variant with orange juice and some acid blend would turn out.

Most acid blends are ~40% citric acid... so adding acid blend to orange juice probably won't change things much from the original recipe with pure lemon juice.

When we did our initial racking to the secondary there was some sulfury stink, anyone else get that? Maybe rhino farts or something to do with the K-Meta or Sorbate? Anyway will it go away if I let it sit for a while? We're completely clear wine at this point and thinking about probably moving it to another carboy for backsweetening and hopefully bottling.

Thanks.

When we did our initial racking to the secondary there was some sulfury stink, anyone else get that? Maybe rhino farts or something to do with the K-Meta or Sorbate? Anyway will it go away if I let it sit for a while? We're completely clear wine at this point and thinking about probably moving it to another carboy for backsweetening and hopefully bottling.

Thanks.

I wouldn't let a sulfur smell sit. It will get worse and embed in the wine. There are several threads on here on how to combat sulfur and Jack Keller has some good online info as well. Splash racking until it is gone has worked for me, but act fast.

I had bad smell in a kit wine that I let get too hot during primary fermintation. I did 2 splash rackings and it went totally away. There are several threads on splash racking and a video somewhere on here.

Thanks.

You shouldn't have had any K-Meta or sorbate in it at that point. Did you add these to the initial ferment?

Latest posts

Back