Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some neighbors taste the Dragon's Blood the night it was bottled, and then again after 2 weeks -- they were amazed at the difference. My tropical version is sitting for 2 weeks before I pull the first cork (except for the partial bottle I drank the night it was bottled). Can't wait to try the difference.

2 Quick questions,

1. Alot of what i have read said 6 lbs of fruit per gallon of water. Why do you only need 6 pounds total for this whole batch? Its great that 6 lbs works as that will save some money :)

2. What is the best way that you defrost the fruit? Move to the fridge a few days before making the wine? Leave at room temp? Microwave?

Thanks!!

I had some neighbors taste the Dragon's Blood the night it was bottled, and then again after 2 weeks -- they were amazed at the difference.

Excellent! Always good to get positive feedback.

My tropical version is sitting for 2 weeks before I pull the first cork. Can't wait to try the difference.

You're sure to like that one, too. Tom's got a great recipe there.

(except for the partial bottle I drank the night it was bottled).

In our cellar, we call that "The Wine Maker's Portion". Bottling in the morning is awesome! Then I'm drinking wine all day! :ib

2 Quick questions,

1. Alot of what i have read said 6 lbs of fruit per gallon of water. Why do you only need 6 pounds total for this whole batch? Its great that 6 lbs works as that will save some money :)

2. What is the best way that you defrost the fruit? Move to the fridge a few days before making the wine? Leave at room temp? Microwave?

Thanks!!

6lbs. will work just fine but I have since bumped mine to 9lbs.

I put it in some warm water and let it thaw in the sink.

2 Quick questions,

I still use just 6 lbs for each batch for the Dragon Blood recipe. I know it sounds impossible, and some wine makers---like DJ---use more. It works. I'm still not sure why, but it works. In my opinion, it has to do with several factors. The acid in the lemon juice working on the skins of the fruit imparts a great deal of the flavor, I think. In other fruit wines, you would just use the juice. I was amazed at the first test batch. Maybe someone who has been making wine longer than me can give some insite. I'm still at a bit of a loss why this method works so well.

I used to leave the fruit out overnight. Now, I just microwave the fruit until it's soft. Your choice.

I just read this discussion on how much fruit to use on Jack Keller's website. I hope it's ok to post links.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/advbasic.asp

Basically you are trying to make berry wine. Too much berry and the balance is tipped and now you have an alcoholic berry drink but it doesn't taste like a wine. Obviously you have a window to work with here and everyone's taste buds are different. 6 may be good for one while another likes 9 and another likes even more. I encourage you to make the first batch per instructions then change it after you've tried the original.

As for the defrosting of the fruit I put the bags in the sink with warm water.

I add frozen directly to the nylon straining bag in the primary. I then pour my heated sugar water right over the top. It sits for a day or two to settle out the meta bisulfate, and will all balance temp by then. My must is dark red before I ever pitch yeast.

I read the whole thread and couldn't wait to try a batch! So I dug through my freezer to see what I had to get started ! I had to make a few adjustments based on what I have Available. I have tons of Blackberries left in the freezer from last summer so used those and a bag of cranberries I found. I'm only making a 5 gallon batch because that's the only carboy I have unfilled... LOL So here is My first try and Dragon's Blood...

1 Bottle of Lemon juice (32oz)
5lbs of Blackberries
12oz bag of Cranberries
2 banana's (for mouthfeel)
15 cups of Sugar
1tsp Tannin
3 tsp Pectic Enzyme
2tsp of Bentonite
2tsp of Yeast Nutrient

Mixed it up yesterday and pitched the yeast this morning! now to wait :ft

Do you have do do anything to ensure the fruit bag stays under the wine? If it floats up and the froat is exposed it will rot after a while right? Or does that take a few days (so pushing it down once a day and getting it wet once a day would prevent that?)

I've never had an issue with the fruit rotting...
I use new knee-high nylons for each batch (they are cheap at Dollar General Stores!).... I fill it with fruit then tie off the end... Then each day I push it down and mashing it with my spoon on the side of the primary... seems to do the trick... by the end of the ferment their ususally isn't much fruit left... I squeeze out the bag and toss it in the trash...

I've even forgotten to stir for a few days when I get busy... and not had issues... but that has been with other wines... I've just started my first batch of this DB but I would say with the high acid the chances of rot would be even less since lemon juice is used as a preservative sometimes.

For the stirring every day, do you snap the lid in place on the primary or just set it on top? If you snap it in place since they are tough to get off do you removie the airlock then the lid then stir and replace lid, or just remove the lid with the airlock? Thanks again

I just set mine on top... I have kiddos running through my kitchen so I usually set a 5lb bag of sugar or flower on top to make sure it doesn't get knocked off...

Do you have do do anything to ensure the fruit bag stays under the wine? If it floats up and the froat is exposed it will rot after a while right? Or does that take a few days (so pushing it down once a day and getting it wet once a day would prevent that?)

It seems Dave has given daily instructions for this recipe. It is a play by play that leaves little to question unless you decide to add ingredients in which case he has a strict, "Swim at your own risk" policy. The bag is to be gently squeezed and removed, stir the must, and then return the bag. If you haven't read his full recipe and play by play, it would be a good thing. Maybe print it off and create a checklist.

Just kidding by the way. I think Dave likes us swimming outside the ropes.

It takes a while for the fruit to begin to rot. "Punch down" by gently stirring once or twice a day. This will remove some of the CO2 from the bag, but it'll probably still float. You can also gently press the bag against the side of the fermenter with the spoon to help extract that fruity goodness. I find this is a lot easier and cleaner than taking the bag out and squeezing by hand. I wait until I'm taking the bag out to do that.

As far as the lid goes, I generally snap it tight, but it's a matter of personal preference. When snapping it back on, I remove the airlock to prevent "blowback" of the liquid in there. So, I'll snap the lid down partially, remove the airlock, finish snapping, and replace the airlock.

Last edited:
For the stirring every day, do you snap the lid in place on the primary or just set it on top? If you snap it in place since they are tough to get off do you removie the airlock then the lid then stir and replace lid, or just remove the lid with the airlock? Thanks again

just set the lid on top, you want air to get to it and you want co2 to escape a good free flow, you can also just cover the top with a moist towel to keep dust and other airborne floating crud out for easy stirring. no need for the airlock right now use it when you transfer to secondary.

:b

ALLLLLLRIGHTY! Right out .092 currently and have removed the fruit pack from my first batch. My wife and I do wine stuff together on the weekend so I'm lucky enough to leave it in the primary for a few extra days to help get rid of some of the lees, etc. Anyway even without clearing it's a gorgeous color, super excited!

Will this recipe work in a 6.5 g fermenter? The instructions said 7 but I don't have one. I can get one if its needed.

Last edited:
Will this recipe work in a 6.5 g fermenter? The instructions said 7 but I don't have one. I can get one if its needed.

Yes, you just won't have alot of room to stir. If anything, depending on how full it gets, you may have to back off the amounts just a touch. Fill your primary with water and set the bag of fruit in it(still in its original bag) and see where you are at. Then you will know if you need to make any modifications.

Latest posts

Back