Dragon Blood: Triple Berry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm always looking to make a wine for people who don't necessarily like the typical red or white grape wines, but do like Arbor Mist type wines. Do you think this recipe would satisfy that type of person?
Thanks!

I'm always looking to make a wine for people who don't necessarily like the typical red or white grape wines, but do like Arbor Mist type wines. Do you think this recipe would satisfy that type of person?
Thanks!

This is better than any Arbor Mist that I have ever had, so I guess the answer would be no. This is for people that like good fruit wine. :)

On a more serious note, I do have friends that don't like your typical red wine and they love this stuff. It is in line with a sweet red.

I was just reading through the recipe. I have a question about racking off the gross lees in the primary. I've always racked off gross lees from a carboy, so it's obvious where they begin and end. How do you accomplish this in a primary (where you can't see the level of gross lees from the outside)?

I'm guessing you start with the bottom of the racking cane up high and lower it as the level of the wine lowers, and then when you hit the lees, stop?

Thanks!

jrvernon said:
Just wondering, has anyone ever tried Dragon Blood as a sparkling wine? How would one make this happen without making it "champagne"?

Ok wish me luck, racking today into a five gallon and a one gallon which I'm going to attempt to make a sparkling wine. (Got some advice from a local beer maker). I am adding 2oz of dextrose to the one gallon carboy. Wait one week then bottle it. Have not decided which bottles I am going to try yet.

jrvernon, if you fermented to dry and the yeast is in fact dead then the sugar will not re-ferment. When I make beer the amount of dextrose, better know as Priming sugar to beer makers is 5 oz per 5 gallon batch.
Keep us posted, this is very interesting!

Pumpkinman said:
jrvernon, if you fermented to dry and the yeast is in fact dead then the sugar will not re-ferment. When I make beer the amount of dextrose, better know as Priming sugar to beer makers is 5 oz per 5 gallon batch.
Keep us posted, this is very interesting!

Pumpkin, it was either that or try some type of carbonation drops...??? Excuse me, mad scientist at work...hehe

LMAO! I'm interested in the outcome!
Just remember the carbonation drops are another sugar source, you need the residual yeast to bring on the second fermentation.

Finally bottled my Dragon blood as it has been sitting since summer. Nice and clear and ready for drinking. The Pineapple blend looks interesting, but I wonder what it tastes like without the fruit added?

Craiger, no gross lees if you put the fruit in nylon drawstring bags and put them in the fermenting bucket, once it is fermented to dry, we stabilized and fine, then back sweeten to your preference, rack, filter if you choose to and bottle.

My gallon test batch finished very dry and is very clear, now needs degassing and back sweetening, when can you drink this stuff?

The great thing about this wine is that you can drink it right away! Having said that, it does improve significantly in the bottle over the first couple of weeks---peaking at about three months. After you back sweeten, give it a week to clear back up, then drink away...or bottle and let it sit for a few.

You'll need a bigger batch next time. One gallon is not going to get it! :)

Thanks Dave, it does smell nice, and I think you're right, I'm going to need a bigger boat.

Ok, after a very successful first batch of DB I decided to make a batch of Blackberry DB. Not a good choice. I don't believe blackberries have enough flavor. The triple berry is a really nice fruity flavor. The blackberry really has no taste at all. Now I am sure you could probably backsweeten with an extract, concentrate, etc. but comparing "apples to apples", the blackberry isn't close to the triple berry.
I will be bottling the DB melomel in two weeks and am very interested in giving it a go.
Also, I have found I like to add 1 1/2lbs. of fruit per gal. instead of 1lb. per gal.
Anyway, gotta give it up to Dave and DB and to Lon for his inspiration.

I just racked from my primary to secondary. Do I need to top up the carboy at all during the process? there is no mention of it in the DB Owners Manual ;)

jrupjr said:
Do I need to top up the carboy at all during the process?
On stabilizing night I simmered another lb of quad berries for 30 minutes in a saucepan with about 20oz of water. I then added 3 cups of sugar to that while it was warm and let it cool off some. I poured through a colander with a mesh bag over it then i added to the carboy after the k meta and sorbate. I then tasted and added some more to taste. That's just the way I did it as I plan to rack one more time before bottling. I'm new to this so I hope it works out ok but I didn't want to use water and it tastes amazing.

cohenhouse77 said:
Finally, a mad scientist close enough to me to let me try some!!!

Mad scientist update... The gallon tester of the sparkling DB is clearing, so I took a taste. Because I did not back sweeten, it is a slight bit dry. I plan on bottling this weekend. I will use 750's with easy caps (another suggestion of my friendly neighborhood beer/wine store). I am hoping that aging this wine for a few months will help the dryness.

Just dropped a batch of this Sunday, pitched yeast Monday and Did my squeezing today. Just curious though, isn't there a worry about contamination from opening this up every day??

Back