Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks dave u and everyone else here inspired me to try some thing else other than a couple of kits ive done.Im on my third day in the fermenter with a four berry db and already down to 1.042 from 1.075 and now my basement smells so good ive spent all my evenings there (that dont make my wife happy) but cant wait for the final product

Hm, mine is down to 1.040 from 1.090 but I'm not getting an awesome smell. Could it be that I just got a couple bags of bad fruit? Mine smells like yeasty old fruit, lol, can't think of another way to put it. maybe I'm squeezing the bag too much?

How does everyone else's smell after a couple days of fermentation?

I used 6 pounds of Wyman's triple berry, 1 pound of thawed - frozen strawberries, and 2 bananas (bananas added 2 days after yeast pitched).

Oh almost forgot, The fruit was still semi frozen (or maybe just cold) when I added it to primary, but The temp was 74 when I pitched the yeast. Could that have affected anything?

Don't fret the process, Recon. It will turn out great! I squeeze the bags of fruit in mine like crazy, getting as much of the juices out as I can each and every time I squeeze. It sounds like yours is doing fine! Keep to the recipe and you will be pleased.

The .pdf file located here (http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/wine-made-easy-36430/) is the most up to date version of the recipe---FYI.

The ongoing discussion about this recipe continues here: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/dragon-blood-triple-berry-skeeter-pee-33076/index9.html

Last edited:
Don't fret the process, Recon. It will turn out great! I squeeze the bags of fruit in mine like crazy, getting as much of the juices out as I can each and every time I squeeze. It sounds like yours is doing fine! Keep to the recipe and you will be pleased.

The .pdf file located here (http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/wine-made-easy-36430/) is the most up to date version of the recipe---FYI.

The ongoing discussion about this recipe continues here: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/dragon-blood-triple-berry-skeeter-pee-33076/index9.html

Thanks for the reassurance, making this wine is fun. Also, thank you for your service as a firefighter.

I used 5 tsp of a blend of nutrient and energizer that my lhbs sells (instead of the two, i hope that didn't bugger it up). I think it's called superferment.

One more thing, after reading your awesome PDF, I noticed the honey version, and it sounds awesome. Any benefit in back sweetening the original DB with honey? and can any honey be used? or should I go for organic?

When I made the melomel, I used honey in the primary to replace the sugar, but did not back sweeten with honey (I didn't have any left)---I used sugar for that. I know some others did. Maybe they will give you some guidance on that.

I also stuck with backsweetening the melomel with sugar. I suuuuuuuuure like the melomel better.
Next time I make it, I will backsweeten with honey just to see the difference.

Hm, mine is down to 1.040 from 1.090 but I'm not getting an awesome smell. Could it be that I just got a couple bags of bad fruit? Mine smells like yeasty old fruit, lol, can't think of another way to put it. maybe I'm squeezing the bag too much?

How does everyone else's smell after a couple days of fermentation?

Mine was a little musty to but I still thought it smelt really good could not wait to drink it and now I can't stop drinking it

Is it ever too late to add some additional fruit or sugar? I pitched the yeast 2 days ago and have been checking daily. I started SG at 1.070 ( a little lower that I wanted) but thought the sugar from the fruit would bring it up some. I have seen where bananas and raisins and even oak have been added and thought this might be good to try. Is it too late? I'm not trying to make this in record time, just a good batch.

Is it ever too late to add some additional fruit or sugar? I pitched the yeast 2 days ago and have been checking daily. I started SG at 1.070 ( a little lower that I wanted) but thought the sugar from the fruit would bring it up some. I have seen where bananas and raisins and even oak have been added and thought this might be good to try. Is it too late? I'm not trying to make this in record time, just a good batch.

I added bananas 3 days after pitching, and mine fermented down to .994 with no issues. You may want to add a tad more sugar if you aren't happy with the initial SG as well. From what I've read, adding sugar late will not hurt, unless too much is added. I'm assuming just to take the current SG, and add enough sugar to bring it up .015 (If 1.085 was what you were aiming for).

I have not been able to purchase any glass carboys so I've had to let 2 batches of Dragon's Blood sit for a few days in the primaries after fermentation finished. I hope this doesn't affect the finished product. Fingers are crossed!!!

I'm starting my 2nd batch either today or tomorrow, this time I will try one of those frozen fruit packages from Walmart which I think have other fruits like pineapple and mango......I really like those 2 fruits so I hope this combination with a another pack of frozen tripple berries is a good combination..!!

dangerdave said:
I've done that before, Marc. It should not be an issue.

Thanks Dave!!! I racked the Strawberry today. The Blackberry will have to wait until next week when I get a couple more glass carboys. Steve's allinonepump is absolutely AWESOME!!!!!

So Im gonna move up in the world and try a variation of Db, but I was wondering if anyone has used grapefruit juice instead of lemon juice and or if it was good? Or if anyone thinks it would have enough acidity in it to take place of the lemon juice? I made one batch using acid blend and it was noticeably sweeter, now I wanna try something different.

So Im gonna move up in the world and try a variation of Db, but I was wondering if anyone has used grapefruit juice instead of lemon juice and or if it was good? Or if anyone thinks it would have enough acidity in it to take place of the lemon juice? I made one batch using acid blend and it was noticeably sweeter, now I wanna try something different.

I've used lime juice before, but I haven't tried any other type of juice yet. There is thread on here where someone made a mojito version using grapefruit juice. Might want to check it out.

Reilly: I think your sg is good for this recipe. Totally up to the person drinking it (you) but I really enjoy this wine a lil weaker than normal, has wonderful flavor! Adding sugar at this point is ok though, just do the whole boiling it down in very little water thing and let it cool to room temp before adding.

Edit, just realized this was a few days ago. Lol.

Inquisitive minds want to know...

Good morning, Dave...Thanks for all the super info on your Dragon Blood, but I'd like to know if you are drinking the wine warm or chilled.
Thanks again

Chilled is definately the way to go! My wife uses frozen fruit (pineapples, peaches, mangos, strawberries) to keep hers cold. The fruit soaks up the wine, very tastey.

I think that these is the way all wine should be made.. I am doing a straight blackberry, straight strawberry,and straight peach..all 3 gallon batches.
You get to drink when its young...I am too old to wait a year to drink it.

Latest posts

Back