Dormant cuttings?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

padolin

Dolin Mountain!
Reaction score
I live in West Virginia. We are still haveing warm days here. Is it too early to start cutting my vines for next year?

I'm in Putnam county.

Are you wanting to take cuttings to begin new vines or just wondering about dormant pruning? I would think it would be a good time to do either as the vines should have gone dormant by now.

You can check in with your state ag extention service. Usuually found at a state university. It will tell you the right time and methods. .Around here Clemson recommends late winter. The method depend on age of plants

Terry

Im wanting to make new vines from the cuttings. Im afraid we will have a hard winter though. I would rather wait until late March but Im not sure if that will give the new cuttings enough time to start out.

If you take the cuttings now before it has gotten cold enough to cause some bud damage, you avoid having dead buds on the cuttings you want to root. You can store them for a while in a moist damp cool place and callous them when you need to to get the vines ready for plantout next spring.

The best time to take cuttings is after going complete dormant, before the harsh winter (freezing) cold comes. So the best time is late November and early December.

But since this has been so mild this winter, now it is still good to take cuttings. Do not wait to spring time. As Grapeman said, there could be very cold weather and the canes can be damaged.

I usually take mine as late into winter as I possibly can, unless there is really cold air (-20F or so) predicted. The longer they stay naturally dormant the better IMO.

Back