Doing welches first should be manditory

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
I started 2 gallons yesterday. One grape and one cranberry strawberry. Now im getting fancy. Gallons with bungs and airlocks. Sanitization, hydrometer and ph adjusting.

HEY!!!!No bubblung after 24 hours in either one. There is a bit of foam on both gallons of liquid. but no bubbling in the airlock. The lighter liquid has a zillion small bubbles in it. I can't see into the grape liquid. SOOOOOOOOOO I decide to see the effects of yeast nutrient. I use 1/8 teaspoon into the grape, it foams a bit. I replace the airlock and yahoo bubbling in the airlock. Im a chemist now.

I do the same to the lighter colored gallon, replace the airlock and no bubbling.

1/2 day later, i decide to try yeast energizer. 1/8 teaspoon and a stir seemed in order but still no bubbling.

After standing there for about 15 minutes looking for one crummy bubble. i noticed a hair of movement in theairlock and the foam on the((MUST)) if i may call it that is getting a bit thicker.

Finally my brain kicks in andI just tighten the bung in the bottle and push the air lock in a bit tighter.

it's working

The moral is better to goof up with welches than some zillion dollar juice

it's fun though and so far i have learned to test the SG and adjust sugar before adding yeast and be sure the airlocks are properly seated.

smiley18.gif
smiley36.gif
Edited by: scotty

Scotty,

Normally you start the batch in a primary bucket with a lid on but no airlock, or a cloth over it attached with a rubber band or something similar. Since you are doing gallons, a gallon and a half pail is minimum- George sell a 2-gallon htttp://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5204. When your yeast gets going initially, it will be very vigorous and will probably come out your airlock. Once fermentation slow down, rack it from the pail to the gallon jug and it will stay under control. Depending on the wine the SG should be about1.010 when you rack it. In a pinch, if it gets too active, split it between two jugs until primary ferment is done. The batch also needs plenty of oxygen on initial fermentin, and the airlock will limit it. Masta can give you better directions, but be cautious of bubble over at this stage when you are in a jug(unless it is only 2/3 full).

i deliberately diddnt fill the gallons and my primary fermenter is definitely way too big--ill follow the link

I started making wine with a Welches red grape from quart jugs. The flavor was fine, but I bottled way too early and had "sparkling red" wine
smiley36.gif
. My wife liked it, so I didn't complain. I still make a white grape/peach from concentrate that I can't keep around because so many friends and family like it.

I found cheap buckets ($1 a piece) at my local Mom and Pop doughnut shop. A 2 gallon icing bucket makes a great 1 gal/4L primary!

Good luck.

I now realize that i posted in the wrong forum--ill be more carefull in the future.

i started white grape peach from welches this morning. Im allowing the airlocs and bung to be loosley fitted and open thegallon once a day for oxygen till i get the smaller primary.

No adding yeast nutrient etc this time. sanitizing is becoming a routine already.

its fun and interesting--i needed an indoor hobby--motorcycles are great but not indoors

[url]http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/slowpoke59ds/wine%20m aking/[/url]

Scotty,

What recipe are you using for the white grape/peach? Here is the Jack Keller recipe I use: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request182.asp

One thing I do a little different fromJack's recipeis I use the WalMart brand (2 each 1/2 gallon jugs) of white grape/peach. Then I add one can of Welches white grape/peachfrozen concentrate to the WalMart juice. The concentrate reallyboosts the peach flavor. ThenI addsugar to 1.085-1.090 SG. I'm on my 3rd batch of this wine!

only one can of white grape peach..1 1/2 lb sugar--dont have pectic enzyme yet so i skipped the 24 hour wait to add yeast--oops i forgot the lemon juice--no acid blend-- mine doesnt call for nutrient but i think i will add 1/8 tsp now--its fermentind slowly-- i have note card on the bottles but i see that i must get a bit more accurate. i also used 1118 yeast

My 3 gallon carboy that has 2.5 gallons of weak juice in it is starting to come to the end of the primary fermentatipn. Bubbles in airlock are slowing down. I read that i should wait till the bubbles are a ninute or two apart before i rack the whatever it is
smiley36.gif
. i SUPOSE NOW I WILL RESORT TO THE HYDROMETER WHEN THE BUBBLES REALLYARE ALMOST STOPPED((opps caps))

I'll have to read a bit more to get it right. specific gravity somewhat less than 1 if i recall.

This is more enjoysble than i imagined
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back