Does anybody have an nice recipe for me?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearpaw

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just like the title says, does anybody have an nice recipe for me?
I would prefer bananas or oranges, but every recipe is nice.
Thanx,

Bearpaw

Bearpaw said:
Hey guys,

Just like the title says, does anybody have an nice recipe for me?
I would prefer bananas or oranges, but every recipe is nice.
Thanx,

Bearpaw

There are several recipes on winemaking.jackkeller.net

Bearpaw, I don't know where you are located but you may not need recipes as much as you think. Go to your local market and find some fruit juices that you would enjoy drinking. Make sure that they are either not preserved or only preserved using pasteurization. You don't want anything with chemical preservatives. Some fruits like papaya produce a great deal of sediment. So be prepared if you buy only a small quantity of juice (say a gallon) you may end up with about half a gallon of wine (about 2.5 bottles )
Buy a gallon (about 4 liters) and dump the juice into a sanitized bucket. Measure the sugar content and add enough sugar so that the specific gravity is around 1.085. Measure the pH. You want it to be around 3.2 to 3.5 If it's too high you want to add acid blend or lemon juice. Add nutrient, add pectic enzyme, add tannin, add oak chips. I think you should wait 12 hours after adding the enzymes before adding yeast. Pitch your yeast (I tend to use 71B but whatever yeast you have will be OK). If you want you can add Bentonite (helps with clearing the solids). Stir vigorously twice a day. Measure the gravity and when it falls to about 1.010 rack onto k-meta and seal the neck of the carboy with an airlock. Let it ferment dry and then rack again onto K-meta after two months. Repeat after two months. Repeat after 2-3 months. You can wait another 2 or three months or degas manually. You can then stabilize and sweeten to taste or stabilize or bottle (as long as there is no CO2 remaining and the wine is clear with no sediment dropping). This is my "recipe" for pomegranate wine. I started a batch last week.

Last edited:
I thought you waited until it went dry before adding k-meta, won't that slow, stop or hurt the fermentation going dry? Just asking, I'm still green as a gourd in this wine making thing.
Semper Fi

I thought you waited until it went dry before adding k-meta, won't that slow, stop or hurt the fermentation going dry? Just asking, I'm still green as a gourd in this wine making thing.
Semper Fi

K-meta is an antioxidant, antibacterial and a wild yeast inhibitor. When working with fresh fruit you typically add to must 12-24 hrs after the pectic enzyme. If your fruit/juice lists sulphite on ingredients list you need to remember it is at such a low level, just for that package. Then many do choose to dose after dry, and/or at least once a quarter and until time to bottle. But adding a standard dose of 1/4 tsp k-meta per 5-6 gallons (read your mfg label, they do vary), ie you forgot it preferment, will not typically stall your ferment.

Semper Fi

Maybe you are thinking about sorbate.

Well, if you want to liven the bananna up a bit, throw a half dozen or so fresh jalapinos in a gal. batch. Amonst other things it will clean your sinuses out. Arne. BTW. if you try this, make sure you sip not gulp. At least at first. Although I have seen a gulp and since it didn't kill anybody yet, it was pretty funny. Arne.

Back