WineXpert Does a Stag's Leap Merlot kit taste like...storebought? Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbylet

Junior
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to win a "Buy one get one free" wine kit coupon from winexpert.com for their LE releases (still going on btw on their website!),
and as it includes the Selection Estate series, I thought I may as well splurge so I can try kits I wouldn't normally afford. I was thinking of the Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay as well as a big red.

90% of the wine I drink is Cabernet, so even though I'm making a few other kits, I've mainly drunk merlot mixed with other varietals. I don't want to take a big gamble if I don't have to. The local retailer who stocks the SE series carries the Stag's Leap Merlot I have heard so much about. They also carry the Lodi Ranch 11 Cab, but I don't want to just default to cab.

I am perfectly willing to go spend $30+ on a bottle if it will be an accurate representation of what to expect, as I do love plum and berry. I haven't seen many wine kits with such specific name associations so far, and admit I'm more interested in recreating wines I already like than I am rolling the dice.

OK I JUST googled the chardonnay and see theres a Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay too from at least a few wineries, so I had to add that to the title, and now I am really wondering how many kits are similar to the wines from actual wineries. Any advice would be appreciated!

Back