Do you add K meta to airlock when bulk aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
I read somewhere that some add k meta to the airlock water when bulk aging. I just have regular water currently. Is this an added line of protection or irrelevant? Thx.

Definitely added line of protection. Water has nothing to keep bacteria, etc from growing. Some will use Vodka, especially for cold stabilizing to keep from freezing plus kill the bacteria.

Scott, It is a very easy and inexpensive insurance policy. What I normally do is dip the airlock in my bucket of K-meta solution to fill it and to sanitize the exterior. Then, I replace the cap, rinse the airlock under hot water and place it on the vessel.

Yep, just added protection as water can go stagnant pretty quick. Barometric pressure changes can make your wine expand and contract which can suck your airlock fluid into the carboy making using plain water a not so great idea.

Good to know! Wade, I plan to cold stabilize with vodka so is there any concern in that getting sucked into wine for that 2 week period?

Latest posts

Back