Do i have a stuck fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyB

Reaction score
I am making a Winexpert Eclipse Lodi Cab. I started at a 1.090 SG and followed the kits instructions that you go to secondary fermentation after a week and my SG was 1.000 you are supposed to stay in secondary for 10 days. I am at day 7. My SG has been at 0.096 for the last three days. Is my fermentation stuck or is this as low as I am going to go. I wanted to get to 0.090 for a dryer wine. If it is stuck what is the best course of action?

You are about as low as it will likely go, that wine is dry. I have never had a ferment go lower than 0.996 (you have listed 0.096?--think you put an 0 where a 9 goes?), though I have had others tell me they hit 0.990--congrats on a timely active ferment!! Not uncommon to hit 1.000 within 5-8 days. Do you know what your temperature was when you took all readings, to ensure your readings have been calibrated with your hydrometer?

Sara

Last edited:
saramc said:
You are about as low as it will likely go, that wine is dry. I have never had a ferment go lower than 0.996 (you have listed 0.096?--think you put an 0 where a 9 goes?), though I have had others tell me they hit 0.990--congrats on a timely active ferment!! Not uncommon to hit 1.000 within 5-8 days. Do you know what your temperature was when you took all readings, to ensure your readings have been calibrated with your hydrometer?

Sara

Hi Sara - thanks for the input and yes you are correct I put a zero instead of a 9! The temp throughout was between 72-74

Latest posts

Back