DIY Stir Plate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better Bottle... but it may be possible to insert a spigot although this will take some thinking. BB use a tube to insert their racking adapter (spigot) and although it is configured differently from a standard spigot - their spigot costs as much as the carboy - it may be possible to rig a contraption to locate the washer and nut against the drilled portal and to locate it in such a way that I can prevent it from spinning and so insert the spigot into the nut and washer rather than insert the washer and nut onto the spigot... If I can come up with some device that will hold the nut in a fixed position and which will allow me to guide that nut to the port... hmmmm... a plastic spring loaded "clamp" that I can attach to a rigid PVC tube might hold the nut enough to enable me to screw in the spigot and if I Jerry-rig a line attached to a small piece of wood that I can use to pull the nut and washer against the wall of the carboy then I may be able to screw the spigot in tightly enough to form a good seal..(the idea being to pull the washer nut onto the wall rather than push them) .. Will need to test this idea using a cheap plastic container before I start drilling a hole in my BB.
Won't be able to move forward on this project until Sunday night...
Apologies Ants Elixirs for hijacking your thread. Not my intention at all. I am very sorry.

Last edited:
Good idea as well.

In the end, I'm thinking you'd be better off with a bucket instead carboy. I think getting a nut on and tightened through the neck is going to be much harder than you realize.

But yeast starters are typically used more in brewing than wine making, aren't they ? Brewers often use liquid yeasts and they may need to produce a larger culture before they pitch the yeast when they have five or six gallons of wort. Wine yeasts , I think, tend to be dry yeasts and there are enough active cells in any pack to inoculate 5 or 6 gallons of must, although there are certainly folk who choose liquid ale and lager yeasts to inoculate meads and ciders. Which is not to say that a stir plate will do any harm. It won't. And not to say that your plate certainly looks good. It does.

I have one for this exact purpose but since I am moving into juice buckets, I'll also be using it while testing for TA using the pH meter method. This will help ensure that things are mixed while adding the reagant.

But at $64.00 for a step drill bit I could by a couple of ported BB carboys with the spigot already attached...
I wasn't thinking single use
I've had a couple for over 30 years and use them a lot on any thin material I need to put a hole in. They get borrowed a lot as well.

Back