WineXpert Diverging from kit instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billaban

Reaction score
Greetings,

Started first batch today. Vintners Reserve Chianti. I'm using 13 gallon carboys for primary and secondary ferm so I actually did a double kit batch. The yeast appears to be very active :h and just pitched it in a few minutes ago. I have been home brewing for years but this is definitely different on many levels.

My first question is about bulk aging and how that relates to adding the kit oak chips. The kit instructions doesn't address bulk aging and instructs to add the oak chips during primary ferm. This seems odd since racking off for secondary in a couple weeks will eliminate the oak from the rest of the process. My thinking was to add the chips after racking off subsequent to secondary ferm which is consistent with much of what I have read on this site. Make sense?

My second question is more about the bulk aging since it isn't addressed in the kit instructions. How frequently should I rack during 3 or 4 months of bulk aging?

Third question is what is the desired temp for bulk aging? If I have read anything about this it has been lost in the din.

Comments?

Thanks.

Last edited:
All the kits I've done with oak have it in the primary. I'd follow your kit directions on the oaking. Yes, it makes sense to me.

I would rack once halfway through the 3 or 4 months.

Believe a stable temp is going to be more important than an absolute temperature. Thinking 55-65F would be good for 3-4 moths bulk aging.

Ps. Make sure you do a good job degassing.

If the kit is Oak Dust or Shavings, then during primary is fine. You will get all the oak out in the week. Some kits have Oak Cubes. Those you need about a month to get all the oak out, so wait until you will have that amount of time between rackings.

I am guessing that oak chips are a little longer than shavings, but not that much. Not much oak hidden below the surface of the chips.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Started first batch today. Vintners Reserve Chianti. I'm using 13 gallon carboys for primary and secondary ferm so I actually did a double kit batch. The yeast appears to be very active :h and just pitched it in a few minutes ago. I have been home brewing for years but this is definitely different on many levels.

My first question is about bulk aging and how that relates to adding the kit oak chips. The kit instructions doesn't address bulk aging and instructs to add the oak chips during primary ferm. This seems odd since racking off for secondary in a couple weeks will eliminate the oak from the rest of the process. My thinking was to add the chips after racking off subsequent to secondary ferm which is consistent with much of what I have read on this site. Make sense?

My second question is more about the bulk aging since it isn't addressed in the kit instructions. How frequently should I rack during 3 or 4 months of bulk aging?

Third question is what is the desired temp for bulk aging? If I have read anything about this it has been lost in the din.

Comments?

Thanks.

It does seem odd to us to add the oak during the primary. But, it seems to work. haha
I have taken oak cubes and added to the first racking for a week or 10 days, then racked again taking the cubes out. I got a nice oak flavor at the end. Maybe it was blind dumb luck, but it was a great red.
I usually bulk age for 6 months, adding a 1/4t of sulfate at the 3 month mark.

Hope this helps. And enjoy the process!!! :)

Kathie

Latest posts

Back