WineXpert disolving sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhnter

Junior
Reaction score
I have been making a few kits of VR Sauv Blanc and Cab Sauv.

When I open the bottles (from the last 4 kits, red and white), it looks like there are a few white specs and I can only figure it might be the sorbate.

It does not completely disolve before I add it at step 3. I leave it for 15-20 mins.
Is there a trick to getting it to completely disolve, or am I just not waiting long enough?

Last night is the first time I have actually used a drill though, maybe that will help?

Thanks,

Using a drill we definitely help as the spoon method does not do a good job of mixing in ingredients and the drill will definitely help with degassing a batch.

Are you adding it to 1/2 cup of cool water to dissolve before putting it into the batch? If not try that and then you can make sure it is completely dissolved before adding.

I add the sorbate and K-meta directly to the carboy and stir with drill mounted stirrer and never had a problem.

masta said:
Are you adding it to 1/2 cup of cool water to dissolve before putting it into the batch? If not try that and then you can make sure it is completely dissolved before adding.

I add the sorbate and K-meta directly to the carboy and stir with drill mounted stirrer and never had a problem.

Yes I am...I guess maybe it just takes longer than I am allowing, or since I have nowused the drill stirrer in stead of the spoon, Imay be in good shape now.

Thanks.

Is it possible the white specs are tartrate crystals rather than sorbate? Tartaric acid may form potassium bitartrate crystals, which can show up in wine bottles or on corks. These tartrates dissolve easily and are edible (cream of tartar) and harmless. If you taste or bite into a crystal, it will have a sour/salty flavor. You can minimize tartrates through cold stabilization (hold wine at35-40 degrees F for a couple of weeks before bottling). I would try to separate out the specs and taste them to see if they are tartrate crystals.

OK, will do next bottle I open. Which also has me question...as I don't notice itin every bottle.

Latest posts

Back