Diluting 100% fresh apple juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
Hey, Gang!
Any thoughts on how far I could dilute a gallon crab apple juice left over from a marathon jelly making session?
The apples were simmered in just enough water to cover them, then drained, and squeezed. Makes fine jelly, but it's already been "cooked in water".
I'm wondering if I should go with the gallon I have, or if I can add more water before fermenting to gain some volume without loosing too much quality?
Thanks for any suggestions.

If it was me, I would add a couple of gal. of apple juice, flavored if you like, and add enough water to get a five gallon batch out of it. Our crabapples are really strong tasting and a gallon in 5 gal. would bring out plenty of flavor. The other apple juice gives more body to the wine, but the crabapple should overpower the apple. Worked for me last year. Used 2 five quart buckets of crabapples, froze them, and added like I said above. Finally after a year, it is a pretty fine tasting wine. Was really bitter for a long time, but now bottled and not sweetened. Arne.

If it was me, I would add a couple of gal. of apple juice, flavored if you like, and add enough water to get a five gallon batch out of it. Our crabapples are really strong tasting and a gallon in 5 gal. would bring out plenty of flavor. The other apple juice gives more body to the wine, but the crabapple should overpower the apple. Worked for me last year. Used 2 five quart buckets of crabapples, froze them, and added like I said above. Finally after a year, it is a pretty fine tasting wine. Was really bitter for a long time, but now bottled and not sweetened. Arne.
Thanks. I have exactly 1 gallon of the strained juice from the crabapples. So what I'm hearing from the above, I should have no problems adding another 3 gallons of water? Originally I was thinking 2 gallons of water to the 1 gallon of "juice".

When I do my regular wine and cider from my Winsap apples, I use pressed juice. No simmering, or straining. I wasn't sure how much the flavor of the crabapples was already diluted with that process.

Why not use that strained juice as a base and add some concentrate or more cider/juice to make a bigger batch. I personally would lean against diluting

What ever you do, dont add water

If you add anything, add apple juice - the better quality you can get here, the better your finished product will be.. If you have extra apple sauce in the fridge, you can probably add that too, or frozen apple juice concentrates if you wanna go that route too

Just dont add water :) it brings "nothing to the table"

Back