WineXpert Different.wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinerBob1

Reaction score
New to the site and a question on wine kits. Been making wine for a year now but only winexpert kits. Been making only the selection series ( middle series) and haven't tried the top of the line with the grape skins, etc. Is there better kits similar ( winexpert directions are pretty easy for me as a beginner). Looking for the best tasting wine. Thanks

The kits with skins are not much harder than the ones you are making. They have a grape skin pack that you put into a mesh bag and place into the primary. Most have some oak cubes to put into the wine after secondary. Some of the WE middle range kits I have made only have one packet of fining agent, the higher end kits have two, essentially Super Kleer. You put the first in, then wait an hour, then put the second in.

So a few more steps, but if you have made the middle range you'll have no problems. I have really liked the Cellar Classic Showcase kits I've made so far, but I have a WE kit with skins that I'm hoping to make soon, once I free up a carboy! I have also made an En Primeur kit with the dry skins that was really easy, but it's too early to tell how good it will be yet.

Last edited:
RJ Spagnols makes Cru Select kits. I have more experience with them but they are similar to Selection. Vineco's Legacy and Ken Ridge Showcase kits would be equivalent to Selection (remember there are multiple lines of Selection). Cellar Craft (now made by Vineco) Premium would also be in that group. Somebody else will have to comment on Mosti Mondiale.

Better kits would include Cellar Craft Winery Series, En Primeur. Ken Ridge Founders Series, Cellar Craft Showcase, and Eclipse. All have grape skins in the most of their reds.

Steve

Last edited:
deboard said:
The kits with skins are not much harder than the ones you are making. They have a grape skin pack that you put into a mesh bag and place into the primary. Most have some oak cubes to put into the wine after secondary. Some of the WE middle range kits I have made only have one packet of fining agent, the higher end kits have two, essentially Super Kleer. You put the first in, then wait an hour, then put the second in.

So a few more steps, but if you have made the middle range you'll have no problems. I have really liked the Cellar Classic Showcase kits I've made so far, but I have a WE kit with skins that I'm hoping to make soon, once I free up a carboy! I have also made an En Primeur kit with the dry skins that was really easy, but it's too early to tell how good it will be yet.

Thanks So much for your input

cpfan said:
RJ Spagnols makes Cru Select kits. I have more experience with them but they are similar to Selection. Vineco's Legacy and Ken Ridge Showcase kits would be equivalent to Selection (remember their are multiple lines of Selection). Cellar Craft (now made by Vineco) Premium would also be in that group. Somebody else will have to comment on Mosti Mondiale.

Better kits would include Cellar Craft Winery Series, En Primeur. Ken Ridge ounders Series, Cellar Craft Showcase, and Eclipse. All have grape skins in the most of their reds.

Steve

Thx Steve - I'll check into those

Ok folks. My closest supplier only carries winexpert so I started the new Eclipse Lodi Ranch Cab with the grape skins and I am excited about it. However, the directions say to stir the grape skins into the wine daily for seven days while in the primary. Is this that important . I'm worried about opening the wine and getting air into it let alone potential contamination. I also worried about stirring the yeast around. First 2 days I did it. Thx evry1.

I have the Eclipse Cabernet on deck as well, everyone is interested in first impressions of that line since it's brand new.

As far as stirring, I stir twice a day. I leave the stirring spoon in the primary, and I keep a spray bottle of k-meta solution to spray on my hands before I stir.

I also don't keep the primary under airlock, but that's a holy war I don't want to start again :)

deboard said:
I have the Eclipse Cabernet on deck as well, everyone is interested in first impressions of that line since it's brand new.

As far as stirring, I stir twice a day. I leave the stirring spoon in the primary, and I keep a spray bottle of k-meta solution to spray on my hands before I stir.

I also don't keep the primary under airlock, but that's a holy war I don't want to start again :)

Haha d - love the quote. 1st like the ideas about the spray bottle & keeping the spoon in the prim. So I guess no problem with stirring the yeast?

Haha d - love the quote. 1st like the ideas about the spray bottle & keeping the spoon in the prim. So I guess no problem with stirring the yeast?

the kit instructions usually say to sprinkle the yeast on top and do not stir at that time. I do that, but once it's fermenting I stir it good twice a day. Usually the next day.

deboard said:
the kit instructions usually say to sprinkle the yeast on top and do not stir at that time. I do that, but once it's fermenting I stir it good twice a day. Usually the next day.

Ok - thx d - that's what I did

Ok folks. My closest supplier only carries winexpert so I started the new Eclipse Lodi Ranch Cab with the grape skins and I am excited about it. However, the directions say to stir the grape skins into the wine daily for seven days while in the primary. Is this that important . I'm worried about opening the wine and getting air into it let alone potential contamination. I also worried about stirring the yeast around. First 2 days I did it. Thx evry1.
Before I started my first WE kit with grapeskins, I contacted them about the stirring. specifically I asked if it would be ok to weigh the mesh bag down (with sanitized stainless steel) instead of stirring daily. I was told it was ok to weigh the bag down, as the stirring is used as a "punchdown" to keep the skins moist.

wineh said:
Before I started my first WE kit with grapeskins, I contacted them about the stirring. specifically I asked if it would be ok to weigh the mesh bag down (with sanitized stainless steel) instead of stirring daily. I was told it was ok to weigh the bag down, as the stirring is used as a "punchdown" to keep the skins moist.

Great idea w - I rack tomorrow and I wasn't crazy about stirring every day. I can see why you need to because the sock was floating each day.

Latest posts

Back