Did I ruin my wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakromm

Junior
Reaction score
I accidently got about a cup-2cups of my ez clean solution into my wine... don't ask how...

My question is have I ruined the entire wine or is it still safe for drinking? I'm not really sure what is in this stuff but I remember reading people using k-meta? to top off with, and also reading other things about people putting a fair amount of k-meta solution into the wine? I guess becuase they didn't want to use plain water and contaminate? Will I have a strong flavor in the wine now, and is it even safe for consumption?

EDIT: it was LD CARLSON easy clean

Last edited:
Well that stuff is Non-Toxic: Not harmful to the user in any way and Environmentally Sound: Contains no ecologically harmful substances and quickly biodegrade's into naturally occurring substances.

The only problem i might see is oxidation - since this is O2 based and there is no rinsing - this means it has to aerate. So this might expose your wine to an over exposure to O2.

Are you in the primary or secondary stage?

Fermentation is done, this happend while I was racking back into my carboy after adding the meta and sorbate to stop fermentation. I had accidently racked it into my carboy which still had about 2-4cups of the solution sitting in the bottom. I didn't realize it until I looked at my container that originally had the solution in it (was sanitizing the carboy) and noticed half of it was still missing (in the carboy). I then became overwhelmed with dissapointment.

After I got done racking I continued to degas the crap out of my wine with my stirring rod, and I also used an electric neck massager on the side of the carboy to vibrate all the lose CO2 (and O2 apparently) out of the wine.

So what you are telling me is that all the powder really is (I've read this elsewhere) is an oxiclean kind of substance? So really the powder is just releasing Oxygen into the water once it's dissolved? I'm sure there has to be other harmful chemicals in it??? If it was only oxygen hopefully I got all of that out while degassing.

Edit:

When I get home today I'll attempt to degass some more just for safety, I will also try a small sample and see if I can notice any off taste

I wouldn't drink it. Makes me think of fermenting dishwater.

Fermentation is done, this happend while I was racking back into my carboy after adding the meta and sorbate to stop fermentation. I had accidently racked it into my carboy which still had about 2-4cups of the solution sitting in the bottom. I didn't realize it until I looked at my container that originally had the solution in it (was sanitizing the carboy) and noticed half of it was still missing (in the carboy). I then became overwhelmed with dissapointment.

After I got done racking I continued to degas the crap out of my wine with my stirring rod, and I also used an electric neck massager on the side of the carboy to vibrate all the lose CO2 (and O2 apparently) out of the wine.

So what you are telling me is that all the powder really is (I've read this elsewhere) is an oxiclean kind of substance? So really the powder is just releasing Oxygen into the water once it's dissolved? I'm sure there has to be other harmful chemicals in it??? If it was only oxygen hopefully I got all of that out while degassing.

Edit:

When I get home today I'll attempt to degass some more just for safety, I will also try a small sample and see if I can notice any off taste

I am not sure degassing will get rid of the O2 - the will benefit pulling out the CO2. At this point O2 is bad to be in contact with the wine - and basically doing this has subjected your wine to O2.

The only thing i am not sure on - is how long it takes to aerate out in the solution - it might be possible that most of the O2 had aerated out.

If you haven't already - i would add some sulfites - as that helps protect against O2 exposure.

Also - i would taste it. Bob might be right - it might taste bad.

If it tastes ok I will just drink a little more each night and see if I die, if not I'll just consume it for myself. I'm too stingy to let it go to waste :p

I would contact the manufacturer of the product and ask them.
If they say it won't hurt you, might try adding some to a glass of finished wine, smell it, maybe swirl some in your mouth but don't swallow.

So I just got home and tried some, I really tried to taste it but I couldn't so I think I'm safe. One problem is I'm noticing that it's still letting off a little CO2, is this normal? I degassed it as best as I could and it seemd pretty flat, but when I got home from work I see some bubbles adn can see them goign up the top sides of the carboy. Should I expect to see this for a few weeks since it's really impossible to 'stop' fermentation although I tried :p

I tried to stop fermentation to keep a certain amount of sugar content in the wine, so if this left over sugar slowly gets converted how do I go about back sweetening? At what point is it safe to add sugar to it and be sure it just wont start fermenting again?

I tried to stop fermentation to keep a certain amount of sugar content in the wine, so if this left over sugar slowly gets converted how do I go about back sweetening? At what point is it safe to add sugar to it and be sure it just wont start fermenting again?

You tried to stop fermentation prematurely? That is not likely to work for you. Even after shocking the yeast with Kmeta (the Kmeta added right after secondary doesn't actually kill the yeast), then sterilizing them with sorbate, some of those little buggers are going "to find a way" and begin fermentation again. If not soon, it can happen in the bottle.

The bubbling you see may be the ez clean, but it may be that fermentation has started again. I would let it set at least a couple of weeks and finish bubbling, then take another SG reading. Take the SG three days in a row and make sure it hasn't moved.

Then stabilize again. If you want a sweet wine, you back sweeten it with sugar. After stabilizing and clearing are complete, you can back sweeten a little at a time to taste.

Do yourself a favor. Dump it and start over. The sooner you start a new natch, the sooner you'll have some *good* wine to drink.

Back