did I ruin it? whirfloc tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kracker

Reaction score
so I have a gallon of garlic wine and a gallon of onion wine that I have had going for a while, for cooking. they both hit .999 :r well they were VERY cloudy and my LBS told me to add 1 whirfloc tablet each then bottle.

did they steer me wrong? everything iver read online says they are for beer :slp its been 10 minutes and they are foaming up but thats it. please tell me i didnt ruin it by listening to them! I have 2 Kobe steaks just waiting to marinade in the garlic wine! :(

well so far seems to be clearing so i guess ill wait for an answer

WOW, thats interesting, I've never heard of using whirlfloc tablets for wine.

I brew beer and have used whirlfloc tabs at the end of the boil to help clear the beer I always thought it had something to do with breaking down proteins in the wort but never heard of using whirlfloc or irish moss in wine Im not saying it would not work just don't know of anyone using this technique. I am curious to see if this works.

Me neither! Let us know the end result please. Me thinks its time to start brewing some beer again, I have to admit its been awhile gents and Gals but all this beer talk has me thirsty and even though there are some great beers out there nothing is better then your own!

well sao far its been 24 hours and working, it must there s a ton of sediment there was yesterday and its looking thinner, not clear just thinner. :b

Wade, I usually brew about 8 - 5 or 6 gallon batches within a week or 2 to replenish the inventory, I bottled my 6th today, and I have one dry hopping and another fermenting as we speak!

Tom,
I enjoy brewing as much as I enjoy making wine! I tend to make a bunch at a time, believe it or not, no sculpture yet, I still brew in the kitchen using the stove.
I use two 8 gallon kettles and a 10 gallon industrial Igloo cooler converted into a mash tun.
I didn't go any bigger, I don't think that the stove could handle it, plus, the mini fridge that I use to cold crash and lager can't hand anything bigger than a 6 gal carboy.

Irish Moss is actually listed a lot, on older Mead recipes, as a clearing agent..

I would have chimed in earlier, had I realized Whirlfloc tablets were just a proprietary blend of compressed Irish Moss and carrageenan..

it helped but did not do a great job, i added potassium sorbate and cambden planning to bottle but can i still use something else to clear it better before i bottle? too late?

You can still use something else.. Just needs ample time for the new fining agent to settle before you do anything else

Bentonite, Sparkolloid, Super Kleer, etc..

.Tom,
This is about as fancy as my brewing gets right now. I brew 6 gallon batches.
I'm able to complete a brew, from crushing grains to cooling the wort and cleaning up in approx. 4-5 hrs, if I crush the grain the night before, that cuts about 30 mins from the brew day.

Kettles and Mash tun1.jpg

This thread has been cleaned up a bit, by request.
Let's keep it about the wine/beer, folks.

The wine will take some time though, for the 'green'/'young' taste to fade away, and for the actual flavors you were in search of, to come forward.

Bentonite, Sparkolloid, Super Kleer, etc..

Any of these should do the trick for clearing the wine.. I think I missed a few, but I still cant think of them right now :)

Oh, oh, Gelatin being one of them!

Last edited:
Wade, I usually brew about 8 - 5 or 6 gallon batches within a week or 2 to replenish the inventory, I bottled my 6th today, and I have one dry hopping and another fermenting as we speak!

You brew 40-46 gallons of beer every 1-2 weeks!!!????:<

Not every two weeks...LMAO!!!!! I'll brew approx 8 batches within a 2 week period, all grain, to fill my inventory. Depending on how many buddies come over, or if we go to one of our "tasting parties", that can last from 1-2 months, but I won't brew more than the legal limit of 200 gallons, that would be illegal.:D
I usually like to keep the following in stock:
Oktoberfest
Hoptimum IPA clone
Centennial IPA clone
Blonde Cascade Pale Ale -APA
Golden Amarillo Ale - APA
Imperial Irish Ale
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
Sammy Adams Boston Lager Clone

This give a nice variety, some light for my buddies that think that Bud is a good beer...lol, Some IPA's and Lagers for the rest of us.

I plan on brewing a Guinness Stout Clone and a Helles Bock at some point, my buddy has the best Guinness recipe! at some point I'd like to try a fruit beer, a small batch, I saw a recipe for a light American pale ale with the addition of cherries, once again, it would have to be real light, nothing over powering, but I'd give it a shot just to see what it is about.
To be honest, I can't wait until I can get a kegerator, washing and sanitizing this many bottles (each batch fills 2 cases -48 bottles) is a major pain in the arse, plus the fact that the beer tastes so much better.

well info update: whirflock tabs work!! its now 50% crystal clear and gaining by the hour. so im going to let it finish.

Kracker, Thanks for the update, when did you add the Whirlfloc, at what stage, after fermentation was complete? did you let the wine age at all prior to adding the whirlfloc tablet?
This is very interesting! I am very intrigued by this.
Keep us posted. Do you have any pics that you can post, I'd love to see before, during and after pics.

Latest posts

Back