Magnolia Wine - I'm going for it! (And glad I did!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! I may try using a little white grape juice, (frozen concentrate from the grocery store), or apple juice, if I can find some without preservatives. I don't want to cover the flavor of the petals but I am thinking that either might build a little more body. Will use 71b, pectic enzyme and some nutrient. Going to shoot for 11-12% ABV.
I tasted the stamens of my southern magnolia and they have a pretty pronounced "pine needles" taste, did not taste the pistils. Doesn't seem like it would go with the floral/spice flavor of the petals. They might make a totally different wine though. Could not fine anything definitive about if the stamens were edible or not.

Another flower wine from last year I was hopeful and curious about. Would the ginger and cardamon flavors endure?

A pleasing aroma, slightly floral with a hint of cardamom.

Like many fruit wines, this needed back sweetening. I didn't detect a cardamom flavor but the ginger was first and unmistakable, followed by a wonderful fruitiness. It could easily be identified as a ginger-berry wine...and I'm very happy!

Again I'm amazed that a simple foraged ingredient could easily make the annual to-do list.

magnolia.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back