Magnolia Wine - I'm going for it! (And glad I did!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not on my list and I don't know how I missed it!
I read it tastes like ginger and cardamom so that was the first test. It took a couple seconds but sure enough, those flavors were there. I was sold at that point but I went to test #2 and made tea. The hot water released a wonderful floral scent and intensified the ginger and cardamom. There was no stopping me now!

I used 6 pints (160 gr) and 71B.

maggie 1.jpg maggie 2.jpg

Relatively quick ferment, 4 days for 1.094 to 1.020. I liked my flower wines that were fermented with the flowers so that's what I did.

maggie 3.jpg

Transferred this morning.
It has the floral scent of the tea and the color is beautiful.
And incredibly - IT STILL HAS THE GINGER AND CARDAMOM FLAVOR!! I was shocked! They were perfectly balanced and I wish I could add ginger and cardamom to a wine to get the same flavor!
It flowers continually for a week or so and naturally I already have enough vac sealed and frozen for 5 more gallons. I made 8 flower wines last year and this may be my favorite. We'll see where it goes.
I foresee this being a sweet wine to bring out the ginger and cardamom, but we'll see. And if anyone is interested, my magnolia cultivar is "Jane".

maggie 4.jpg

Another tree for my list of things to plant! Apparently Japanese Magnolia (Magnolia x soulangeana) is one of the best for edible flower petals. Grows in zones 4-9, max height 15 feet.

"Jane" sounds interesting as well, but since I live in zone 8b, the hottest summer days might be too much for it: Learn How to Grow and Care for the Beautiful Magnolia 'Jane'

the smell when you pour boiling water on is sooooo enticing…

That vacuum sealing is great. What make of sealer do you have ?

the smell when you pour boiling water on is sooooo enticing…

That vacuum sealing is great. What make of sealer do you have ?
The smell was wonderful!

I have 2 Foodsavers that I bought before 3 dozen Chinese brands flooded the market. Very happy with them! Had to replace the tape that covers the sealing element in one of them. I really didn't want to buy a new one.

I froze a lot of things last year using Ziploc and vac sealing. I've decided Ziploc are OK for a few weeks (maybe) but vac sealing is the way to go for long term. The magnolia will be long term because I want a better idea how it will turn out before I start another.

Another tree for my list of things to plant! Apparently Japanese Magnolia (Magnolia x soulangeana) is one of the best for edible flower petals. Grows in zones 4-9, max height 15 feet.

"Jane" sounds interesting as well, but since I live in zone 8b, the hottest summer days might be too much for it: Learn How to Grow and Care for the Beautiful Magnolia 'Jane'
That's a good little article. A little deceptive. They may flower for a couple weeks but the individual flowers act more like day lilies - the day after they're fully open they start to brown and shrivel. But there's so many of them it doesn't matter. I used all young flowers just getting ready to open.
Also, mine flowers one more time late in the year. I'll have to see if there's a flavor difference.

Well, went a little crazy this morning.
The jar on the right is pickled magnolia flowers. The flowers need a couple days but the vinegar tastes like ginger vinegar, no floral smell. It's absolutely delicious and I'm surprised it's not marketed.

On the left is a 1:1 simple syrup. It looks brown but it's actually a dark burgundy. Wow! Floral scent, tastes like ginger syrup! So now I'm wondering about the possibility of using flavored syrups with herbs and spices for back sweetening.
Oh, I ate the flowers from the syrup. After cooling they tasted like candied ginger.

maggie food.jpg

You have piqued my interest, I love the smell of magnolia on a summer evening. If only I could bottle it. I have several questions.
You said you used 6 pints of petals, was that for a 1 gallon batch? were the petals packed or loose? were the petals fresh or frozen? Did you pour hot water over the petals when making your must? Ever heard of anyone using southern magnolia? I have heard they are edible but have never tried them. I have three of those and should be able to get plenty of petals.

You have piqued my interest, I love the smell of magnolia on a summer evening. If only I could bottle it. I have several questions.
You said you used 6 pints of petals, was that for a 1 gallon batch? were the petals packed or loose? were the petals fresh or frozen? Did you pour hot water over the petals when making your must? Ever heard of anyone using southern magnolia? I have heard they are edible but have never tried them. I have three of those and should be able to get plenty of petals.
Yes, 1 gallon, loose packed and weighed in case I want to replicate/tweak. Some flowers can change fast so all blossoms were picked very young. A joy to pick - so many flowers it took just a couple minutes. I'll make it again with frozen flowers so I'll see if there's a difference.
I poured hot water (about 190 F) over the petals. With my flower wines I'll taste the petals (after confirming they're edible!) and then make a quick tea for a flavor test. No flavor, no wine.
You're lucky to have so many magnolias. I'd make a tea as a test. Seems like the hot water really releases aromas and flavors. I'm curious so please let me know how it goes!

I did not know Magnolia was edible?
I don’t have a tree but could possibly source some.
Thank you for sharing your projects and information! I learn so much from your ambitious pursuits!

I did not know Magnolia was edible?
I don’t have a tree but could possibly source some.
Thank you for sharing your projects and information! I learn so much from your ambitious pursuits!
I'm learning too. I am constantly surprised by the tasty wines made from such ordinary and very common ingredients. And being from the yard the price is right!

I missed one, though, darn it. I found out too late that forsythia flowers are edible. There were just a few left on my bushes, tasted, and they were delicious! Next year.

First racking this morning.
More orange-y than the usual country wine shade of amber. (Yippee!)
Slight floral aroma and the very slightest floral flavor.
Acid is noticeable. Checked my notes and I used acid blend and I don't know why. Senior moment? I usually use citric acid with flowers.
And the ginger flavor is still noticeable!! Happy about that! Didn't detect the cardamom but I'm guessing this will need back sweetening and maybe the flavor will come back. Now we wait.
Preliminary opinion is that I would make this again.

maggie 5.jpg

Do you think tulip poplar flowers would be similar? My Google search came up with conflicting reports if edible. I gathered a sack on hike this morning but not sure if I should proceed.View attachment 100895
I had to do some searching, too. It seems the nectar of the flower is edible and tastes like honey but I couldn't find anything definitive about the flowers themselves. As far as I'm concerned it would be a no-go. I need to be 100% percent certain something from the yard is safe before I eat it. It's not worth taking a chance. Sorry.

I had to do some searching, too. It seems the nectar of the flower is edible and tastes like honey but I couldn't find anything definitive about the flowers themselves. As far as I'm concerned it would be a no-go. I need to be 100% percent certain something from the yard is safe before I eat it. It's not worth taking a chance. Sorry.
Thanks! That was pretty much my thought too. Was hoping they were edible because they sure are pretty and smell good.

Did you leave the petals in the must or only use the tea? If so did you chop the petals? Did you use only petals or did you use the sexual parts of the flower as well? My Magnolias are just staring to bloom and I am only picking 2-3/day and freezing them. I have 2 lbs and think I will start a batch. Freezing turns the petals a light brown after a day or two, sort of like an older blossom on the tree, not sure what color the wine will be. When the trees start blooming in earnest I may make a second batch with fresh flowers.

Did you leave the petals in the must or only use the tea? If so did you chop the petals? Did you use only petals or did you use the sexual parts of the flower as well? My Magnolias are just staring to bloom and I am only picking 2-3/day and freezing them. I have 2 lbs and think I will start a batch. Freezing turns the petals a light brown after a day or two, sort of like an older blossom on the tree, not sure what color the wine will be. When the trees start blooming in earnest I may make a second batch with fresh flowers.
I've made at least a dozen flower wines and my current process is to ferment with the petals. I tried both methods early last year with a honeysuckle and the difference was night and day.

I only used the petals. I tasted the other parts and the flavor just wasn't there. I did lightly chop the petals but I don't know if it's really necessary - hot water shriveled them real fast!

I have enough in the freezer for about another 5 gallons and they haven't browned at all. I vacuum sealed and put them in my chest freezer which I think is -20F. I also noticed some flowers changed color last year if I used a ziploc so I vac seal if it's going to be a while, seems to work.

I used to be a bee keeper in a previous life. Tulip poplar was the only plant in this area that produced a large surplus of nectar which the bees converted into a dark, some say strong-tasting honey. It's generally in high demand here. Have never heard of any use for the flowers but would proceed with extreme caution until 110 % certain.
Just found a reference that stated: All parts of the tulip tree are poisonous, both to humans and animals. Take small children and animals to a doctor or vet if you suspect they have ingested any part of the plant.

Did you use any additives, raisins, grape juice concentrate? or just water, sugar, petals and yeast, (nutrient ?). Pectin enzyme? Did you adjust pH or TA? Sorry for all the questions?

Did you use any additives, raisins, grape juice concentrate? or just water, sugar, petals and yeast, (nutrient ?). Pectin enzyme? Did you adjust pH or TA? Sorry for all the questions?
I'm still relatively new at this (18 months?) so I still have a lot to learn and I'm slowly adding new testing methods. A couple weeks ago I finally got a pH meter!

No additives. Never used concentrate. (Hard to find!) Sometimes I'll add a bit of raisins. I generally get my pH around 3.5ish. I don't mind it being more acidic in some berry wines. And I almost always add pectic enzyme. It won't hurt anything, plus it's amazing how many country wine ingredients have pectin. Yes, even flowers!

Back