Did I mess up my first batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkansan07

Reaction score
Ok guys just put my first batch together and it looks like it should, but I may have messed up. I didnt have a slurry, so I put together a starter with about 1 part must and 3 parts water (this had the nutrient and energizer in it). I wasnt thinking and dumped my yeast right into my starter without letting it sit for 24 hours. Will it be ok or should i just go and make another starter right now?

What are you making? And what was your recipe?

I don't have an answer but was curious if it ever took off or did you pitch new yeast?

I don't have an answer but was curious if it ever took off or did you pitch new yeast?

well I went ahead and hydrated some more and pitched it, over night my airlock has started moving slowly and I have a thick sludge floating on top so I expect it will be rolling in another 24 hours. Dont you think?

well I went ahead and hydrated some more and pitched it, over night my airlock has started moving slowly and I have a thick sludge floating on top so I expect it will be rolling in another 24 hours. Dont you think?

Went ahead and checked SG and it has dropped from 1.072 to 1.065.

It generally took my Skeeter Pee's about 24 hours to get going good. The thick sludge you are referring to is I assume, the foam from fermentation. I generally did not nap the lid on the fermenter but covered with a towel so I could easily check and stir daily. Skeeter Pee definitely likes to be in the 70's to ferment, what temperature is your batch at?

It generally took my Skeeter Pee's about 24 hours to get going good. The thick sludge you are referring to is I assume, the foam from fermentation. I generally did not nap the lid on the fermenter but covered with a towel so I could easily check and stir daily. Skeeter Pee definitely likes to be in the 70's to ferment, what temperature is your batch at?

70-72 degrees, before I pitched my yeast I whipped it up with my drill and actually had trouble getting the yeast in because it was foaming so bad. If I stir again im just going to use a dowel.

Back