did I hump the monkey here?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Simmons

Reaction score
so I am making three batches of wine and I decide to add a fourth (why, don't ask)
smiley17.gif

I do everything in week intervals - Sunday is my wine day.

so I got three rolling and needing to be bottled - and I grab the 4th batch by mistake - not noticing the siligel and all that still tied to the neck of the carboy.

Now, its 'just' Black Cherry Shiraz, so I just rolled with it - I put the KMet in, the Potassium Sorbate and skipped the siligel and liquigel and bottled it.

did I hump the monkey here and mess everything up? Will it be drinkable?
smiley5.gif

You will probably have to decant each bottle off the sediment.

IMO, I would uncork and put it all back in the carboy and continue rest of process. Will cost you a little time and 30 corks, but worth the trouble to get it right.

I have to agree with Dancer unless this cleared on its own meaning it sat the for some time instead of adding the fining agent when stated. Otherwise you will most likely end up with a lot of sediment in the bottles and it will most likely be very wispy meaning easily disturbed.

I appreciate the the info.

It was amazingly clear.

So if it is clear, then there is no issues with the Sodium Sorbate and K Met going in at the same time - at bottling?
smiley13.gif

I know its not ideal - but I messed up. If it is only a clarity issue, and its pretty clear - I am good with it and we just drink it.

Thoughts?

I believe there is no problem with adding k meta and sorbate at bottling - in fact this is sometimes done by intention. I forget how long your wine had been clearing - maybe it had self-cleared to some extent as has been suggested. The dropped sediment may not show up for a while - maybe it will be consumed before then! The old-timers often had some sediment in their bottles as they had no way to filter. Or, if it is an important wine, could re-bottle as also suggested - good luck!

No problem with those two but I bet you still will get a good dusting in the bottles.

I have separated them - and kept the questionable ones for us. It's not too bad with the sediment - I was surprised. I won't make that mistake again hopefully, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Latest posts

Back