Did I destroy my electrode?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahRides

Reaction score
I haven't used my pH meter in a few months (at least). I have the Hanna pHEP 98128. The storage solution in the cap dried out, and so the electrode was allowed to dry as well. I soaked it in storage solution for an hour and a half already, and it won't calibrate. I just get the WRNG message when I try in both the 4.01 and 7.0 solutions (I've tried single point and two point calibrations, neither have worked). It appears that it is reading really high. I've even tried with fresh calibration solutions. Has this happened to anyone before? Did I need a new electrode? Thanks!

Sarah, do you have the cleaning solution for your ph meter. I would go that route first and make sure you clean it good. Next I would let it sit for a day in storage solution and then try to recalibrate. I have not had this happen but you'd be covering all bases. If this does not work I would call HANNA if they have a customer service line. I'm thinking they would. Have you checked the price of the electrodes yet?

I don't have the cleaning solution, only the storage and calibration solutions. I'll give that a try though. I did look up the price, a new electrode will probably be almost $50, so I'm hoping I don't have to go that route! It seems to be reading really high though. Thanks!

If you have no solution, let it soak in plain water for 24 hours to rehydrate. That will probably get it back in shape to calibrate.

Back