diamond wine rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
appleman said:
Those are probably the nicest wood in wine racks and winemaking table I have ever seen. That's violin grade wood there! Tell your dad he is really lucky to have such great wood to work with! I used to spend $50 or morefor a violin blank to work with. I had to give up making them because my thumbs got arthritis too bad to hold the thumb planes any more.

A shame you don't make violins anymore. I'm in the market to upgrade from the el cheapo chinese ebay violin I play now.

xanxer82 said:
appleman said:
Those are probably the nicest wood in wine racks and winemaking table I have ever seen. That's violin grade wood there! Tell your dad he is really lucky to have such great wood to work with! I used to spend $50 or morefor a violin blank to work with. I had to give up making them because my thumbs got arthritis too bad to hold the thumb planes any more.

A shame you don't make violins anymore. I'm in the market to upgrade from the el cheapo chinese ebay violin I play now.

My old hands don't want to handle the thumb plane anymore. Those little suckers are hard on the joints and I don't like to use power tools for such intricate and delicate work. You measure the thickness of the back in millimeters with calipers and plane the wood off in minute amounts.

They are fun to build and sound great when done. You just don't get tones like that from mass produced instruments. Give it a try. It can be just as addicting as winemaking and is even slower in progress than wine!

LOOK AT THAT! that's something to be proud of! I just hope you gave him a big hug and kiss from all of us for just being able to gaze at it
smiley2.gif
and I'm sure I speak for every one when I say I'm green with envy!

Latest posts

Back