Dextrose or honey for priming sparkling mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadman77

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm about to bottle my sparkling gingermead with plums. Charlie Papazian recommends using 3/4 cup of corn sugar per 19L. I take it that there is a bit of room to move here as volume does not seem a very accurate way of measuring a powder. I also see that some people use honey for priming. I was hoping to get some feedback on whether there is a noticeable flavour difference or quality of bubbles between using dextrose or honey for priming. I wouldn't have thought so as it is only a small amount relative to other ingredients. Also if using honey, what quantity is recommended per 5 gallons.

Why in the world would you ever add sugar to a mead? The one drawback to honey though is it can make your cleared mead a little cloudier. WVMJ

You mention one reason. The other is the difficulty in ensuring the right amount of carbonation. Is there a formula for how much honey to add to a 5 gallon batch to get a good level of fizz without blowing up bottles? I'm assuming here that for carbonation purposes, honey and sugar are not equivalent (weight wise).

By mass honey is around 80 percent sugar, so if you need to add 1 lb of sugar you would need 1.2 lbs of honey. However, for carbonation, I would stick to sugar since it dissolves well and you want to make sure you have a nice and uniform sugar distribution when you go to bottle.

Latest posts

Back