Mosti Mondiale degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the input, I also have a 24" Mix Stir, will see how well the fizz-x does at stirring up the bottom. But plan on using both the fizz-x then the Vac. Just did the 1st racking from the primary on my very 1st batch of winexpert VR Cab. Hoping i did not leave to much sediment behind. Will let you know how the degass goes in 10-12 days

Degassed today, everything seemed to go well here are a couple of pics, if you notice how clean the carboy is on the outside in the 2nd picture, CAN anyone guess what happened. I used the fizz-x hight speed forward and reverse. My brake bleeder has not arrived yet, i will have to try it on one of the upcoming batches. Just want to thank everyone for their help..

20080308_131657_dgas.jpg

Ah, looks like a little volcano action, its happened to us all I suppose. The new directions on Mosti's Meglioli kits with racking and degassing have near eliminate this issue, at least in my experience.

Brake Bleeder is Much easier, seems to be doing a good job, I had to pump it up to 24 to really get it going. NO VOLCANO, this time.
I broke my auto siphon removing the tube that was upsetting, have to get a new one and figure a better way to get it on and off.

20080314_141533_degassin.jpg

The above is a MM Granbarolo, I racked today and added the kmeta and plan to bulk age for 3 months. I broke the auto siphon after racking when I was trying to remove the tube to clean it. CAN NOT WAIT TO DRINK THIS. PLANNING ON XMAS 09.

Get that carboy topped up before bulk aging. Temps dont play a big role in bulk aging as long as your using a bung with airlock filled. Dont forget to check the airlock every so often to make sure it doesnt evaporate.

Thanks will top it off. I did not add the clarifiers or sorbate was planning on adding 10-12 days prior to bottling, that is why I did not top it off.

Better to top off now to limit the area exposed to air- even if mostly C02 and SO2. When you add the clarifiers and sorbate just take out enough to fit in the additions. Also don't forget to check S02 levels before adding the sorbate. You want to make sure it is high enough at that point so the sorbate doesn't create the geranium smells.

I am planning on following the method in the newsletter. I will age 3 months in carboy. (Should i go any longer?) I will add 1/4 tsp of kmeta prior to sorbate. I have to get a s02 and other, test kit. Any suggestions. I plan on pressing fresh grapes in the fall also.

Topped it off and hooked up the brake bleeder to let it hold @ 15 in. A lot less pumping with it topped off, OBVIOUSLY

OK, everything seems to be going really well. My MM Barolo is tucked away aging and fully degassed.
Today however I had to rack my WE VR Cab after clearing, did not go as well as the MM. I ended up getting a little sediment in the beginning and end of racking to to much. The wine is nice and clear. Prior to clearing I did not have the brake bleeder just the fiz-x and thought i fully degassed. While racking, I was focusing on the holding carboy and did not realize the the tube was not in the bottom of the receiving carboy and there was a lot of foam on the top, I completed rack and hooked up the brake bleeder and plan on leaving it overnight pumping occasionally.

I then plan a 1 or 2 month bulk age, filter than bottle.

Am I heading in the right direction.
Will prob. not buy a kit with less than 16l of juice, can really tell the difference.

Latest posts

Back