Mosti Mondiale degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PigPen

Reaction score
Just started my first batch Reserve (cab) Will aso be starting Granbaroloin the nxt few days ) trying to get as much info as i can, I plan on using a Fizz-x, any suggustions (high, low, speed reverse and foward). Move it around or keep it stationary. I saw somewhere that some one was going to post a video. I have also read about using a Mity vac. Just want to thank everyone in advance for all of your help.

Hi Pig pen. I haven't had much luck degassing with my fizzex, so I'll leave the advice to others. But I do think you need to get it going fast in one direction and then reverse. When I do this with a thin stick it works great.

I've used a wooden dowel (thin round stick about 3 feet long). The only problem with that is I think the wine reacts to the wood a develops some foam in addition to releasing the CO2. A plastic one might be better. But what I do is use the neck of the carboy as a sort of pivot point (for lack of a better description). I make wide circles above the carboy, which makes for wide circles inside the carboy, as I spin the dowel around the neck very fast. Then I stop and go in the opposite direction. This results in a lot of CO2 being released at first, with less and less during subsequent stirrings. Careful, this can also create the dreaded volcano. You just have to watch it and be careful.

K&GB,
I wonder why you haven't had good luck degassing with Fizz-X. How did you determine it wasn't doing a good job?

I bought one several months ago and have been amazed at how much CO2 is released when using this. I use an electric drill and I think in instructions or on forum, I've read to spin it for 30 seconds. Let it go and then do it again. Using Fizz-X in conjunction with the vacuvin pump works really well to suck the C02 out. It's also been recommended to do this process 4 times in 24 hours after starting the clarification/stabilization phase.

I hope that helps.

Laneygirl,

Recently I followed the fizz-x directions just as you described on a reisling, but didn't see any bubbles. I degassed five or six times over 24 hours then added stabilizers and clarifiers. When I racked a week later there was a LOT of gas still in the wine so I had to degas again. I tried the fizz-x again and even reversed directions and tried my highest torque setting on the drill, but saw no bubbles.Then I went back to my wooden dowel and all that CO2 came bubbling out. Not sure why I can't make the fizz-x work. Others swear by it. But for me, it's only good for stirring, not degassing.

Welcome Pigpen, there are a few different ideas here. Some claim and I
will not dispute this but I prefer to use Fizz-x on fast speed until
the wine begins to spin in that direction and then reverse direction on
high speed. after doing this a few times I then switch to my Mityvac
brake bleeder.
20080223_092112_Brake_Bleeder.gif

Using this tool which costs about $16 from harborfreight.com or you can buy it or a different model at any auto parts store will evacuate gas from your carboy by creating a vacuum which will draw the CO2 out of your wine and you can actually tell when its done by seeing the results on the vacuum gauge.

Wade,

i am thinking or ordering one of those brake bleeders.
Question: I currently have 2 carboys holding wine in them for 4
months now. I will be bottling them soon. I still
have to add an addition 1/4 tsp K-meta.

What procedure should I follow. Here's my guess, please correct or revise.

Degass the carboy using the mighty vac. (I already degassed with
a mix-stir 4 months ago, but I am sure there is still residual gas).

then, add my k-meta solution to my bottling bucket and rack wine from carboy to bottling bucket.

Should I degass again? If so, is it done in the bottling bucket? If not, I assume I would just bottle from there.

OR, should I add the k-meta solution directly to the carboy and stir it
in using the short end of my long plastic spoon. Then after it is
stirred in, degass the wine with the mighty vac? Doing it this
way would have me concerned about overflowing the carboy b/c the wine
is currently about an inch or two from the bung.

Thanks for all of your help, does the vac come with everything i need to connect, and also How much pressure. I have read that you can break the carboy if to much

Trub, you have to degas in the carboy with the brake bleeder as plastic would probably start to cave in. you can add the meta in the carboy and stir then degas or you can degas and then rack onto the meta in bucket. Pigpen, it comes with everything youll need.

wade said:
Trub, you have to degas in the carboy with the brake
bleeder as plastic would probably start to cave in. you can add the
meta in the carboy and stir then degas or you can degas and then rack
onto the meta in bucket. Pigpen, it comes with everything youll need.

Thanks! the main reason I had asked was a previous post I
remember where there was a concern that adding the k-meta induces some
additional gas in the wine prior to bottling. I'll put that
concern out of my mind.
smiley1.gif

Trubador- the addition of k-meta adds good gas needed to preserve and protect the wine. C02 is what you want to degas and get out.

What are your recomendations for using the the brake bleeder. How much pressure, how long (overnight) and how many times?

Wade, Thanks again. I have also seen somewhere on this forum a 750ml bottle was used in between the carboy and the bleeder, have you tried this or just used the reservoir jar that is included with the vac

I use the jar that came with it. When first using it I pump it up to 15" and thats the point where the CO2 starts to really come up and could overflow the bung, then I keep pumping until It starts to hold and I leave it for awhile and go back after about 2 hours. When you can hold a vacuum of 15" or more for a few hours you are done. I pump it up to 22" and thats pretty much max. what a mityvac will do.

Wade, I will do as you wrote, i just mixed a batch of MM Granbarolo. What a diff with all juce. I ordered the vac that you sent the pic of, little diff than the mityvac, Hoping all comes out well in the end..

I actually have a different model but have heard good things about this 1 and its a lot cheaper then mine. Mine was $35 from an auto parts store but still well worth it.

PigPen, welcome to the forum.

I keep a steady med speed on my drill. I move it up and down to get all the lees stirred up. I also move it in a counter clockwise position to not get the volcano action going.

I only make fruit blend wines and to date I have tried to degas one of them and nothing happened...only saw a few bubbles.
I let them sit till they are clear and as long as I can stand not having that carboy. So far I have not blown any corks, tho the wines are consumed early...usually only a few bottles last more than 2 years.

Is degassing a Wine Kit thing???

Degassing is not just a wine kit thing but it seems that the kits do produce a lot more gas. A Big red wine such as Super Tuscan will really show gas in the taste much more then a fruit wine will also. I make a lot of fruit wines, no where near what you make NW as far as fruits but also have the big kits going at the same time. From what Ive seen the kits ferment a lot faster then fruit wines do and maybe that has something to do with it. I never have a much of a problem degassing a fruit wine as I do a kit wine.

Latest posts

Back