Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
I've recently been shown the effects of what good degassing can do for a wine.

How do I know if I've degassed enough? For example, I have mixed with a stirrer, used the foodsaver-degasser method, and the vacuvin (although I haven't used that one that much). The stirrer (on the power drill) works best, but I still have some very fine (non-bubbly) foam at the neck of the carboy when I am done. When I hook up my foodsaver-attachment to it afterwards, the bubbles disappear, and the wine becomes clear again. Further food-saving does not show any sign of bubbles.

It's the white, fine foam that I am concerned about.

What do you guys think? Am I done degassing? What has been your experience?

Hey Med, how are things going over there? I stir with the drill attachment for a few minutes then attach a brake bleeder which probably does the same job as your food saver until all the big bubbles are gone and can hold about 15" of vacuum. You probably do not have a gauge but I judge by the size and quantity of the bubbles. The big bubbles will disappear and the small bubbles will never leave but the small bubbles seem to stay on the sides of the carboy instead of coming up through the wine.

I am far from an authority on degassing, but I always figure the little white foam on the top is just a result of stirring with the drill. It just froths the wine up a little and dissipates quickly. I just don't have the patience to spend hours at a time with a drill or hand bake bleeder. I would rather decant a while before drinking it and not worry about a few bubbles.

Thanks for a quick response on a Friday night! :)

Life here is (again) a bit on hold, but doing better. It's the darn degassing that is getting the best of me at the moment!

:D

Current Brews, for those who are interested:
Oregano (5 gallons)
Chrysanthemum (5 gallons)
Basil (5 gallons, the problem wine of 2 years ago)
Carrot-Ginger-Clove (5 gallons)
Choco-Mint (5 gallons, the one that just won't degas)
Canned Grapefruit (2 gallons)
Mesquite Bean (6 gallons)

And just bottled
Hibiscus-Elderberry (5 gallons)
Pumpkin Spice (5 gallons)
Loganberry-Black-Currant-banana Mix (3 gallons)

In the planning - GET THIS!!!!!!
Foch (yes, real grape) - 5 gallons
Catawba (yes, real grape!) - 5 gallons
Concord (yes again! real grape!) - 5 gallons
Maybe Seyval (again, it's the year of the grape for QuiToBee Cellars!)

But also have frozen about
10 pounds of acorn squash
10 pounds of tomatoes
4 quarts of basil
3 quarts of sage
and have started the marigold and chrysanthemum harvest for this year. Current yields are about 3 quarts of marigolds, and 3 quarts of mums.
I also want to do another rose-hip.

I think I need more carboys. ;)

M.

Buying grapes or have a good friend? Thats quite the list there girl. Whats up with your employment. Did you ever get the job you were looking for?

Working for a non-profit organization, writing medical literature, and still applying for my dream job. Haven't gotten it yet, but I have a plan "B" this year. I'm not saying anything yet, but if it works out, I'd be probably pretty happy. :)

Oh, those are the cheapest Ohio grapes you can buy, so... No good friends with grapes.

I must be doing something wrong!

Good luck!
7_4_33.gif

Hiya Martina,

Sounds like you are doing well which is great to hear and we do miss you here on the forum. As always you have a very unique list of wines there at QuiToBee Cellars!
smiley4.gif

I am looking forward to a huge career change myself since my current job will be coming to a end in the spring. Edited by: masta

Martina, you have to have the most unique wine cellar of anyone I know of. How was that Loganberry/Currant/Banana at bottling? How long have you aged it now?

Martina,
So good to see you again!
smiley31.gif
You've been missed. After we degass we bulk age and that seems to finish off Mr. Bubbles. Bulk aging has been our friend when it comes to degassing wine.

Well, it's been aging for about 9 months now, filtered it, and degassed it a lot... I'm not sure when to call it quits.

hi martina,did you notice someone added a hundred recipes of jiborish to the mywinerecipes.com site.

THAT is one unique wine list,I've tasted basil before,and understand some of the northern grapes your working with,the floral wines interest me,I've made and still have chard/with elberberry flowers and that was excellent,the rose hips is an ancient wine would like to try that next,interesting block of product
smiley16.gif

Martina
I'm a comparative newbie around here but do you de gass in a full carboy??

I usually rack a fully fermentedd wine off the lees and into a much oversized carboy for de gassing and stabilizing.

After reading that de gassing requires beating the stuffins out of a wine i dont see how one can do that in a full carboy with sufficient vigor to get the job done and yet not make a purple stain on the floor.

Just my thoughts. I hate degassing and am trying to make an automatic vacum degasses now???.

WELL the way I do it is I start in a oversized carboy any way,usually having a 6 gallon batch ,in a 6.5 gal. carboy then theres room at the inn to do the betting need to do the first degassing,transfer to the 6 gal.unit and let it settle out,but I put finding agent in the primary also this helps clearing the products way to the next step,the next racking I do into a sanatized bucket,stirr it once again adding K/met to the batch,on ever other racking by the end of the process the final and finding the gas should be none existent,what do you think
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back