Degassing woes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
So..I've got the drill going and the attachment. Groovy right?

Well...seems the drill is sheering off bits of plastic which I suspect is going, where else?, the wine.

Is this normal? Am I running the drill too long? 2 to 3 minutes (maybe more at a time).

I'm assuming now is not a time to panic, but a good time to learn "how to filter"?

You are using a cordless drill and running at a fairly low speed aren't you? I've never seen any platic break off. If you are using a corded drill it could be turning way to fast. Slow it down and it will do a better job.

<smaking head>
smiley9.gif

It was an electric drill...it was all I had available. And yes..I had it at a high speed.

Lessons learned!
- Cordless drill (go get me one!)
- Use lower speed

I'm going to have faith that its all going to be okay...the filter will catch anything that may have gotten in there (very small shavings...was able to wipe a lot out of the neck).

Thanks for all your assistance this afternoon!

I use the cordless on high but a corded would be to fast on full power. If it is a variable speed corded drill then just ease of the trigger. Also try not to keep to much pressure down as there is usually a plastic washer that will create friction against the plastic pce. that prevents the mix stir from going into the carboy.

Been there done that! Mine almost melted right off before I knew what was happening.

If you are using the wine whip one, try filling the bung halfway with water, then using the drill. At least that is what the instructions told me to do.

I use a regular electric drill but I tend to pulse it instead of running it steady. I'm also planning on doing more of the pump/suction degassing as well.

I usually pulse it as well, and reverse in pulses, while using an electric drill, although the one I have is metal except at the very end. Maybe that's why I don't have any problem.

Latest posts

Back