Degassing with a wine saver

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rslayback

Junior
Reaction score
I just watched a video on U-tube of a guy degassing with a wine saver, has anybody tried this? Does it make things easier than stirring? Overall does it work well?

I wish youtube had a level of intellegence meter on the person that made the video.

Yes, it will work, but the amount of vacuum that it creates is so small that it takes hours and thousands of pumps to do any good. Brake bleeders do a slightly better job because they are more efficient.

For better results, a dedicated powered pump is the way to go.

Oh, and stirring works just fine if yyou don't want to spend money on a pump. It just requires a lot of care.

Yes, I saw this same video. I don't recommend doing this as those pumps are not designed for this purpose and will burn out in short order. (My wife is still mad at me for ruining hers.)

Either stir vigorously, let it happen naturally by letting it sit for a year or so, or buy an All-In-One pump. I chose the last option after trying the first two and am very happy with it.

The allinone is your best too. but if you can not afford it..
get one of the plasting coat hangers and cut it straight on one end and leave a little of the curve on the other...
stick it in a cordless drill and degass that way...there is videos online that show this.

rslayback
Have you been able to watch my video yet ?
If you have any questions or concerns - please PM me and I will get back with you

Yes I have watched your video, and very much interested in your product. Being on a fixed income (disabled vet), funds are limited so it will be on my Christmas wish list for next Christmas!

Latest posts

Back