Degassing wine with mentos

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montresor

Junior
Reaction score
Have anyone ever thought of degassing wine with mentos. It is not a chemical reaction that causes it to degas coke. It is the small facets on the out side that cause CO2 to collect and release. So put it in for a few seconds then take it out. I am not asking anyone to try it but it would be interesting to see what happens.

I would think your wine might turn into a fountain just like the diet coke if you left it in long enough. I for one will not be the guinea pig on this!

Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. When the mentos starts a "geyser" in a carbonated drink, it's not only the CO2 gas releasing but also much of the liquid with it as well. The wine may be left with slightly less CO2 but so will your carboy end up with half the wine it started with.

Degassing should be done gently like a Satie tune, not like a rock concert...

I agree with the comments that suggest that using Mentos may not be a very wise way to degas unless you are also looking to lose a large amount of your wine in a volcano , but I think there is a lot of meaning in your madness, Montresor. Daniel Pambianchi has suggested adding tiny silicone fasteners to the wine when you degas to help with the nucleation of the CO2 and it strikes me that adding dry oak shavings may also help. I haven't yet tried this but I I have some chop sticks that I have considered adding to one of two carboys before degassing to see if it makes degassing easier and allow you to degas at lower temperatures.

It might be fun to separate out a gallon to try this experiment on.

If you could rig it up right maybe you could degass and "power rack" at the same time.

Not that I am the one willing to try this, but it is interesting. When you see the mentos added to a 2 ltr bottle they put a whole package in to make it shoot up. If adding only one at a time into 6 gallons I don't think it will hit the ceiling. Like Rob says, power rack, pop a racking cap on right away with a hose to another carboy.

I don't think there would be a reaction. I believe the reaction is caused from aspartame not co2.

The reaction is apparently caused by not only the chemical makeup, but also the surface of the mentos. I read this on Wikipedia so it must be true. ;)

They do have a photo on the "Diet Coke and Mentos Eruption" page that show mentos dropped in four different carbonated drinks and their different level of reaction.

Um, I think Arne and me ain't taking this seriously enough. :)

:slp You guys are cracking me up. I have this image of everyone standing around a carboy in rain suits, wine glass in hand :)

It would be great to do as a prank. That or drop blue food coloring in when you buddy wasn't looking.

Back