Degassing problem!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a turkey baster to draw out the wine into a the plastic cylindrical container that they hydrometer comes in. Much easier to clean the baster than a large wine thief.
Really? I would think the wine Thief would be easier to clean than the turkey baster. Perhaps we are talking different wine thief products.

Here's the one I use.

http://www.fermtech.ca/thief/thief.html

Steve

Steve, I am with you on that. I have the thief you have and two others and I find them all very easy to clean. I wouldn't kick a dog in the butt for a turkey baster because I can't ever use them without it squirting all over the place. I know a number of people on here use and love them.

I really think the biggest issue some folks have when it comes to cleaning items is they wait too long. I rinse everything off within 5 minutes of using it and that includes emptying carboys.

Steve, I am with you on that. I have the thief you have and two others and I find them all very easy to clean. I wouldn't kick a dog in the butt for a turkey baster because I can't ever use them without it squirting all over the place. I know a number of people on here use and love them.

I really think the biggest issue some folks have when it comes to cleaning items is they wait too long. I rinse everything off within 5 minutes of using it and that includes emptying carboys.

I agree. Except I use a turkey baster to extract the layer of clean/clear wine off the top of the sediment, when I have saved the sediment from the carboy to let it settle. A turkey baster can be a germ farm!

Where do you find a turkey baster that fits into a 750 or 375ml bottle?

Ha - had the same happen this weekend that happened to the OP.

The two things I've learned in my two weeks of winemaking:

1. Be patient
2. Other than sanitizing, it's hard to screw up what mother nature has started, especially with a kit

A refractometer makes all the sampling issues insignificant. You then only need a drop.

rawlus, I know you can correct a refractometer reading for the alcohol content, but I don't know what the calculation is. Do you use an online calculator or a chart, or do you happen to know what the formula is?

Back