degassing help needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kracker

Reaction score
degassing help needed please ready to bottle!!

so my wine is done clearing, last night i racked it off the lees and added 1 camden tablet so i could bottle it today then remembered i need to degas, so i modified a spoon to fit my drill, works great but how long do i do this? does it have to sit afterwards? also am i supposed to add Potassium Metabisulfite and how much per gallon?

Last edited:
Most kits I have seen are two minutes . Then add something and two more minutes.

Making wine in South Texas since March 2014

A campden tablet is potassium metabisulfite (plus some fillers). Unfortunately, I don't know how many would be appropriate.

I think you shouldn't count on bottling so quickly, because it will take a bit of time to get enough of the gas out. One test if you have gotten enough out is to take a small container, say, the tube you do your SG testing in. Fill it halfway, cap it with your hand, shake, then put it next to your ear when you release your hand. If you hear anything, like a puff, then you have too much gas.

It is a LOT easier to get the gas out when the wine is at 75 F or more. I think if you get it to temperature, stir the hell out of it for two days, then let it sit for a week, it should be okay.

Oh I was just making suggestion. I figured it wasn't a kit. Best of luck!

one says 2 minutes one says over a week, can we narrow this down to closer answer lol

Listen to sour grapes. He never has led me astray.

Latest posts

Back