Degassing hand pump outfit photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termini

Reaction score
<TABLE =tableBorder style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider vAlign=top height=150>
<DIV =msg style=": left; OVERFLOW: auto">If I figure out how to set up pictures, I will submit my set up.
It is also a Harbor freight pump, but after viewing someone elses set up on the forum a while ago, I tried a little experiment.....I have a 1967 Buick show car that incororates a supplemental vacuum canister ( a glorified coffee can) to keep the engine running at idle - sometimes needed when the engines get more modified---you old timers know... anyways, this acts as a reserve accumulator-- so that is what I did to my set up.
I put a tee in the vacuum line and used a sanitised wine bottle as the reserve canister--this, I think ,helps because if the carboy is filled up like it should be, there is not enough vacuum capacity, and that is another reason that the vacuum will drop quickly in the begining.
like I said, I hope to get a picture set up soon---------But Turkey hunting comes first..........
20080506_212540_DSC01501.JPG
</TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px"></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<DIV =msgSignature style=": left; OVERFLOW: auto">"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning "
" Aah, I see the Screw-up Fairy has visited us again..."
Hastings, MN

I tried that to but I went at it a different way and it didn't work. I'll try the tee.
I took this bird last Thursday.

100_1644.jpg

Good luck termini.

Nice bird... If you know anyone that ties fishing flies them there is some nice feathers! Don't let them go to waste.

both birds look great! Hope I can add to the pictures by Saturday.
on the plumbing for the vacuum pump:
I also went and siloicone cauled around all the connections because I also had a small bleed down leak and now it works great.

My vacuum pump costed a little more and is a different model and has the reservoir canister included with it.

I'm (impatiently) waiting for my Harbor Freight brake bleeder to arrive! I have 2 white wines I'm making for a friend that need degassing so I can fine them. How long can I let them sit on the lees?

Joan, if you're at the degassing and fining stage then I'm assuming your whites are in a secondary. If that's the case, it won't hurt forthe wineto sit on the fine lees for even a few weeks, assuming the carboy is topped up. It's the gross lees in the primary that you need to be concerned with.

I guess wishing works! My brake bleeder arrived today! I'm degassing as we speak!
smiley4.gif

Thanks for the info, Rule G!

Joan, Im sure you will like the degasser and find that it gets much more gas out then you thought was in there. You should try degassing the old way then hook up the vacuum and see how much more is still in there.

LOL I've been thinking I'm going to have the best forearms in town!
smiley4.gif
I can get it to about 21" but that's it! The bubbles are getting bigger so I guess that's a good sign, right? When do you know you're done?

21" is a good number. Ive only had 2 wines that Ive been able to get to 25" or a little beyond and those were bulk aging over 1 year but still had gas in them. They were easier to get the gas out though.

well if you read back aways ,i performed an experiment using my electric vacume pump,after pulling down to 30inches and holding it ,not knowing what the carboy would take,the bubbles went from valcanic to miniscul ,wade and jobe thought i should discontinue with the deep vacume and proberly they were right,but the result was just fine,how do you truly know,,,,,,TASTE TEASTE TASTE,,and then descide,thats not to say after a while some co2 might surface later ,you would think that still wine wouldn't be that hard to achieve but sometimes it is/////

http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&amp;ref=12

Appleman and Swillologist: Friday the 9th paid off for me....... 45 minutes of "runn'n and gunn'n soaking wet with morning dew at 40 degrees from crawling thru the grass.
rewarded myself with a Cuban cigar that I had been saving for this and a couple glasses of the Blacberry Merlot followed by some store bought port, and then some store bought mead that I wanted to try because I always heard about mead and wanted to try it out.....needless to say that I was napping soundly with my two puppies when my Queen came home from work.....................
20080512_205746_Copy_of_DSC0151.JPG

Back