degassing gallon jug

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
How are people degassing their wines made directly in the gallon jug? The only thing I can think of at the moment is to cover the top and shake.

Sang thats how a lot of folks degas them. Put your sanitized hand over the top and shake it. Remove your hand and it will poofff. When it stops pooffing, it is good to go.
Some take a large plastic stirring spoon and shave the head down to fit the gallon jug and use a cordless drill on them.

I've done both, the drill one is quicker, but potentially more prone to eruptions.

Sang: I was using the hand over the jug for a while, and that works OK. This past year while bow hunting I was sitting by this creek with no game in sight fiddling with my arrows when it dawned on me this would make a great stir stick... I purchased a new arrow with plastic fletching. put it in the drill (feather/fletching side down) and it works great. I did cut the arrow down so it doesn't stick so far up. a pipe cutter works wonders for this. I also sanatize really well.

I LOVE it!
smiley36.gif

The only way this story could be better would be: "...and then I looked up, saw a big 5-point muley staring at me... almost notched my arrow wrong-way-round anddang nearshot myself!"

(Someday I'll tell you about Nick's first elk hunt!)

I have the fizz x or mix stir and I sanded down the bolt that stuck
past the nut that holds the wings in place and it just makes it in.
Works good but in a few weeks I'm going to buy the vacuum hand pump fpr
bleeding brakes to do all degassing. Napa has one for $80 and Advanced
Auto has one for $50.

Hi Wade,
Harbor Freight has one for 19.99. I am not sure how it compares to the other ones but it might be worth the look.

Thanks, I'll look into it!

Edit: Checked into it, looks like the same one at advance for a whole lot cheaper.

Edited by: wade

Hi:
I went to home depot and bought a paint stirrer that was slotted and cut the two outside slots off and used it with my drill. I think it cost 1.78
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back